Author Topic: BeerSmith 2.0 reviews  (Read 6517 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: BeerSmith 2.0 reviews
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 02:59:15 PM »
Thanks, Denny.  Do you download from the site or does it update from within the software?

According to Brad, you must download a clean copy. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »
Thanks, Denny.  Do you download from the site or does it update from within the software?

In the initial 2.0 release, the automatic updater is broken so you need to d/l if from the site.  That's one of the things fixed in the new build.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »
FWIW, a new version (Build 40) with fixes and enhancements was posted a couple hours ago.

Got it....and downloaded. We must have seen it at about the same time.
Ron Price

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 11:05:34 AM »
Another change is in mash thickness ratios.  You can only edit the amount of the infusion (8 qts) instead of being able to specify a ratio, such as 1.5qts/lb like in the old version.  Something to get used to for sure.
I saw Brad say on the Beersmith forum that he'll change this to allow ratios in a future release. He's been very responsive to feedback there.

With the newest download ratios are now editable.  Yeah! 
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 07:32:36 PM »
I just installed it and I'm starting to play with it.  I'm disappointed that I'll have to manually figure ratios.  Oh, the agony!  ;)  I had a chance to meet Brad at NHC and I was really impressed by his dedication to make the software what we want it to be.  I'm hoping I'm gonna love it!
Denny,
ProMash where is you love???
Na Zdravie

On Tap At The TapRoom:
Bohemian Pilsner
Bohemian Dark Lager
Smoked Bock
MaiBock
American Brown Ale
Marzen
Root beer

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »
I'll start by saying I've never used promash. 

Having said that, I think it's quite obvious to all that Beersmith is becoming (or has become) the standard, go to, brewing software.  Their sponsorship of The BN gets the product in front of thousands of homebrewers.  I sure don't use it to it's potential with all the inventory control, ratios, mash schedules, and such.  But, I love it to maintain my recipes and a good brew log.  some day I will get better at that other stuff.......   

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
I just installed it and I'm starting to play with it.  I'm disappointed that I'll have to manually figure ratios.  Oh, the agony!  ;)  I had a chance to meet Brad at NHC and I was really impressed by his dedication to make the software what we want it to be.  I'm hoping I'm gonna love it!
Denny,

I still love Promash, but I made a commitment to try to learn Beersmith.  I'll give it a chance, but I'm not deleting Promash from my hard drive!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
Denny,

I still love Promash, but I made a commitment to try to learn Beersmith.  I'll give it a chance, but I'm not deleting Promash from my hard drive!

May the force be with you.  8)

Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Administrator
  • Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »
Denny,

I still have Promash,
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »
I have used BeerSmith 1.4.0.1 for a little over a year, and just upgraded to BeerSmith 2.0 (including the Build 40).
I gave it a good couple of hours today with revising an IPA recipe I already had done in the earlier BeerSmith version.
I'm not all that impressed with the upgrades to be honest.

1.)  All the water build profiles I created (after hours of research and water calculations) are in version 1.4.0.1 but did not import over into version 2.0.  Pretty important to get this fixed quickly, in my opinion.
2.)  The "up" and "down" arrows near the header of each column still does not organize the ingredients list well.  In other words, I still cannot organize my ingredients list like I'd like to and using whatever logic I want to use.  I should be able to arrange the order with simple up and down arrows when I'm on that particular ingredient.  For example, some may wish to cluster all the Cascade hop additions together to make it easier to plan how many ounces of Cascade they'd need on brew day, as well as follow the recipe better when weighing out the hops.  Others may wish to group the ingredients by the time of addition.  For example, 60 minute addition (regardless of weight) = hops x, y, and z, 40 minute addition = hops q, r, s, and so on.  Let the brewer choose the order.
3.)  When selecting ingredients, it should be easier to adjust hop amounts and AA%'s when we actually select one from the menu.  It would be easier than selecting the field and typing it in.  I realize we can change the amounts and times on the main menu, but it would be nice to also be able to do this on the sub-menus.
4.)  I'd like to be easier to see the entire ingredients list--in my opinion, the window is too small.  I don't need to constantly see everything above the ingredients window--would there be a way to minimize this and gain more room?

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
is anyone else having trouble with bottling volumes and amounts of sugar to add?

Seems like the amount of sugar should be dependent on the "Measured Bottling Vol" box on the "Fermentation" tab.  Instead the amount of sugar only seems to change if I change the "Batch Size" box on the "Recipe Design" tab.

otherwise, few complaints.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 07:35:34 PM »
I was just beating my head against the screen trying to figure out what I was doing wrong when trying to set up the water to grain ratios in a mash profile.  The I read this thread:  http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,4730.0.html

I guess you can currently only set a ratio out to the tenth of a quart?  If that's true I hope he releases the next build soon because I can't really use the software to calculate my mashes. 

Am I missing something or is it back to excel until build 41?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale

Offline bonjour

• Administrator
  • Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 05:00:32 AM »
I guess you can currently only set a ratio out to the tenth of a quart?  If that's true I hope he releases the next build soon because I can't really use the software to calculate my mashes. 

Am I missing something or is it back to excel until build 41?
What do you need?
Fred Bonjour

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:37 AM »
I need to be able to set the water to grain ratio to say, 1.25 and not have it round to 1.3.  Or conversely put in the water volume I'm using and have it just calculate the water to grain ratio and not round it off.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale

Offline bonjour

• Administrator
  • Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 10:40:12 AM »
I need to be able to set the water to grain ratio to say, 1.25 and not have it round to 1.3.  Or conversely put in the water volume I'm using and have it just calculate the water to grain ratio and not round it off.
Look at "Options" and then "Units" in BS 2.  You can set both precision and increment.

Does this do what you are trying to do?

Fred Bonjour