Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diacetyl or just mouth feel?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline dunngood

• Cellarman
Diacetyl or just mouth feel?
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:53:33 am »
Some BJCP judges have said my lagers have diacetyl and other judges call it a nice malt mouth feel.
I know diacetyl in small amounts can cause a slippery or slickness on your tongue what is the difference ?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Diacetyl or just mouth feel?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:02:26 pm »
Mouthfeel is a general term used to describe how the beer feels in your mouth. The factors that can affect mouthfeel are numerous including: carbonation, alcohol, hop bitterness, acidity, dextrins, and diacetyl to name a few. Diacetyl can be difficult to diagnose for some judges and may be percieved as "full mouthfeel" whereas aother judges more sensitive to diacetyl will call it out as "diacetyl". I think diacetyl is best diagnosed by picking it up in the aroma and the mouthfeel.
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:16:38 pm »
If its slippery and tastes/smells of butterscotch, its diacetyl.  I read recently that if you take your beer, put a lid on it and warm it up in a warm water bath for some minutes then pull the lid and smell, it is easy to tell if you have diacetyl.  Diacetyl is common enough in lagers, hence the use of a "D-rest".
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dunngood

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:42:05 pm »
I Always let it fully ferment out at 50F and do a D-rest. Still I am opened minded and know it can happen. I will try the warm water bath and see. Thanks