Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Timing Diacytal Rests  (Read 2347 times)

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Timing Diacytal Rests
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:54:37 am »
So, Ive been brewing a lot of IPA's recently which require dry hopping. I'm not sure about my process here so I'd like to get some feedback. Typically, what I do is ride out primary fermentation, ramp up to do a diacytal rest for a day or so just above 70. Then I cold crash so I can drop out all of the yeast and then I dry hop the next day and let the hops ride for 5-7 days in the fermenter. Sound right?
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Timing Diacytal Rests
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:14:04 pm »
What does it taste like?
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:40:00 pm »
What does it taste like?
Pretty good. I cant say that I've ever tasted diacytal.......Just wanted to know if I should be hitting that rest before I dry hop or if they can be done concurrently. I know the answer is "whatever works for me". Just looking to hear how others do it.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:08:18 am »
Then I cold crash so I can drop out all of the yeast and then I dry hop the next day and let the hops ride for 5-7 days in the fermenter. Sound right?

I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it!   ;D

Sounds like your d-rest temp is good.  For IPAs I don't think diacetyl is as pernicious as it is when brewing lagers if you're pitching the right amount of yeast at the right temperature..  Why the cold crash to drop the yeast?  Are you dry hopping in the primary fermentor?  I'd skip the "cold crash" and rack to a secondary fermentor to dry hop.  I'd move the cold crash to after you're done dry hopping to drop the hops before packaging.

I typically use gelatin on my drop hopped beers, so I'll cold crash to 35 degrees on day 7 of dry hop and gelatin on day 8.  The gelatin will do it's thing for days 8-10 then package.  Works like a charm for dropping the hops and results in a nice clear beer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:10:17 am by Tristan »
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 11:19:19 am »
Then I cold crash so I can drop out all of the yeast and then I dry hop the next day and let the hops ride for 5-7 days in the fermenter. Sound right?

I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it!   ;D

Sounds like your d-rest temp is good.  For IPAs I don't think diacetyl is as pernicious as it is when brewing lagers if you're pitching the right amount of yeast at the right temperature..  Why the cold crash to drop the yeast?  Are you dry hopping in the primary fermentor?  I'd skip the "cold crash" and rack to a secondary fermentor to dry hop.  I'd move the cold crash to after you're done dry hopping to drop the hops before packaging.

I typically use gelatin on my drop hopped beers, so I'll cold crash to 35 degrees on day 7 of dry hop and gelatin on day 8.  The gelatin will do it's thing for days 8-10 then package.  Works like a charm for dropping the hops and results in a nice clear beer.
Thanks, Tristan. I use a ss conical for my fermenter, so I've been cold crashing before I dry hop just to get the yeast to fall out so I can harvest a good amount without the hop material getting in there. I've noticed that If I dont do a cold crash, the yeast clings to the sides of the fermenter. Cold crash and it all falls to the bottom. So, thats what I've been doing. How much gelatin are you using and is it in addition to Irish moss or some other fining material in the boil?
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:23:12 am »
What does it taste like?
Pretty good. I cant say that I've ever tasted diacytal.......

Ya know the "butter flavor" on movie theater popcorn?  That's diacetyl.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:13:43 pm »
What does it taste like?

Nope. Never had that one pop up on me! Pun intended.:)
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:23:46 pm »
What does it taste like?

Nope. Never had that one pop up on me! Pun intended.:)

Then I would say too keep doing like you're doing.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »
How much gelatin are you using and is it in addition to Irish moss or some other fining material in the boil?
I use small packets of Knox unflavored gelatin which can be purchased in 4 pack for $1 at Walmart.  I use one packet if I'm doing one keg at a time, but 1/2 packet in 5 gallons will do the trick.

Here is my process for adding gelatin:

Overnight or for 24 hours I'll chill the beer below 50 degrees.  I try to get it as close to 35 as I can.  After the beer is chilled, prepare the gelatin:

1)  Fill a pyrex or other microwave safe container with 6-8 oz of water
2)  Boil the water (on our microwave which is 1200 watts, I set it for 8 minutes, it starts boiling within the first 3 minutes)
3) With a piece of foil, sprayed with star san ready, open the microwave door and quickly cover the pyrex.
4)  Sanitize a thermometer with Star San and stick it through the foil into the water.  The thermometer is a nice tool to stir with and take the temperature as well.
5)  When the temp of the water falls below 190 pour in half a packet of Knox unflavored gelatin and stir the thermometer.  Above 190, you'll actually make gelatin and get some nice chunkies in your final beer :)~
6)  Leave the solution for 5-10 minutes to let the gelatin "hydrate."  
7)  Pitch the solution into the beer while it's still above 110F, then mix in gently.  

After 24 hours you'll see a huge difference.  I usually shoot for 2-3 days.  My drop hop schedule is usually 68-70 degrees days 1-6.  Day 7 chilling the beer and days 8-10 gelatin.  
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:00:53 pm »
Doesn't the gelatin clump in hot water?  I know you have to stir and stir when you make Jello.  I think its easier to add it to room temp water, let it hydrate and then heat to melt.  This is how I prepare gelatin to be used for wood glue.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 03:51:08 pm »
Doesn't the gelatin clump in hot water?  I know you have to stir and stir when you make Jello.  I think its easier to add it to room temp water, let it hydrate and then heat to melt.  This is how I prepare gelatin to be used for wood glue.
I found this to be better as well.  Far less clumping when added to cold liquid.
By the way, I use a cup of the beer I intend to clear instead of water.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995