Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Read any good book lately?  (Read 32304 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: Read any good book lately?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:24 pm »
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 12:37:21 pm »
That's funny! ;D

There ought to have one for restaurants or grocery check-outs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 12:52:42 pm »
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 01:05:20 pm »
go the f**k to sleep

http://www.amazon.com/Go-F-Sleep-Adam-Mansbach/dp/1617750255/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308767011&sr=8-1

laugh out loud funny if you have/had children.

Especially if you have it read by Samuel L. Jackson: http://www.audible.com/pd/?asin=B00551W570

winner winner!  thanks for posting.  i'll be listening to that at home!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 01:29:44 pm »
I just finished The Third Policeman this morning. That was interesting. Currently, I'm reading In the Rooms by Tom Shone and God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens. I'm not far enough to recommend the former yet but I definitely recommend the latter.

Thanks for the Hiaasen recommendation. I'm a fan but haven't read anything of his in quite a while.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 10:24:18 pm »
I really enjoyed Joseph Boyden's "Three Day Road", http://www.amazon.ca/Three-Day-Road-Joseph-Boyden/dp/0143017861.  It was a really WW1 novel about an aboriginal soldier returning from the war with an addiction and a whole bunch of demons to deal with.  Very good book. Also really liked the "The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time" by Mark Haddon http://www.amazon.ca/Curious-Incident-Dog-Night-Time/dp/0385659806

Problem is, I don't have much time to read but I listen to a lot of audiobooks when I'm driving or flying.  Mostly classics though.  On my iPod right now are:
Moby Dick
Siddhartha
Heart of Darkness
Green Hills of Africa
Several Bill Bryson books (great travel writer - very funny) including "A short history of nearly everything" that I can probably recite from memory.
and Adam Carolla's "In 50 years, we'll all be chicks" which isn't teaching me anything but I agree with most of what he has to say.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 03:14:07 pm »
I'm reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" to my kids.  Again. :)

Other than that, I don't recommend anything on my reading list.  For example, "Folding catalysis by transient coordination of Zn2+ to the Cu ligands of the ALS-associated enzyme Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase 1"

That ranks right up there with the Code of Federal Regulations, Hawaii Administative Rules, and ASTM Standards I have to plow through on a regular basis... (highly sleep inducing).

Good on you for reading Harry Potter to your young-uns Tom.  My son turned me on to HP nine years ago when he was two.

The adventure is coming to an end on July 15 with the release of Deathly Hallows Part II   :(
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2011, 03:18:45 pm »
I'm reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" to my kids.  Again. :)

Other than that, I don't recommend anything on my reading list.  For example, "Folding catalysis by transient coordination of Zn2+ to the Cu ligands of the ALS-associated enzyme Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase 1"

That ranks right up there with the Code of Federal Regulations, Hawaii Administative Rules, and ASTM Standards I have to plow through on a regular basis... (highly sleep inducing).

Good on you for reading Harry Potter to your young-uns Tom.  My son turned me on to HP nine years ago when he was two.

The adventure is coming to an end on July 15 with the release of Deathly Hallows Part II   :(

I thought HP was supposed to come to an end a couple of years ago. I think the true end will come when JK doesn't need anymore money, although I can't imagine why that hasn't already happened.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2011, 03:34:47 pm »
She's going to publish and release the ebooks herself. That's gonna be worth a fortune in itself.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 10:03:13 am »
(unlike the Chris Snow series, unfortunately).

Actually I saw where he had another one coming out for Odd and I think for Chris Snow. An Odd movie is coming out in 2012.

I found the page I was thinking of again, appears the Snow book is still in limbo, but a new Odd is looking like 2012
http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/koontz/timeline.htm
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 10:14:21 am »
I am currently reading The Last Full Measure by Jeff Shaara

I love Shaara'a books!  Can't miss reading for the history buff.  I'm about to finish No Less Than Victory. 
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 01:30:44 pm »
I'm reading Samuel Adams - A Life  by Ira Stoll.  An excellent read!
Without Sam we might not be celebrating our 235th birthday today.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 02:02:12 pm »
They have all been of the homebrew variety....lol. Trying in vain to catch up on lost time and fill my head with some useful tidbits at the same time. List would include:

Yeast - Zainasheff & White
Brewing Better Beer - Strong
Homebrewing Guide - Miller
How to Brew - Palmer
Brewing Classic Styles - Palmer & Zainasheff
Brew Like a Monk - Hieronymus
Homebrewing for Dummies - Nachel

AHA member since '10

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 06:51:32 pm »
Just finished Alan Furst's Spies of the Balkans a few days ago.  I really like Furst's spy novels and this one is probably one of his best.

I was debating reading LOTR again this summer (I read it for the third time last summer), but I picked up Dark Star by Furst over the weekend.  Maybe I'll catch up with Frodo and friends after I finish it.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 08:18:41 pm »
Just finishing "Given Up For Dead" by Bill Sloan.  Excellent book about the battle for Wake Island, which started hours after Pearl Harbor. A rather forgotten corner of WWII history.  True courage and bravery in the face of overwhelming odds.  Makes me proud to have been a Marine. Semper Fi
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.