Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Read any good book lately?  (Read 32312 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Read any good book lately?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »
Finished up The Road earlier this week and the first of the Foundation books by Asimov this morning.  The Road was dark as hell but pretty good and I'm now hooked on the Foundation series.  Always liked Asimov's books but somehow hadn't gotten around to the Foundation series yet.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 03:56:28 pm »
I'm reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" to my kids.  Again. :)

Other than that, I don't recommend anything on my reading list.  For example, "Folding catalysis by transient coordination of Zn2+ to the Cu ligands of the ALS-associated enzyme Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase 1"

That ranks right up there with the Code of Federal Regulations, Hawaii Administative Rules, and ASTM Standards I have to plow through on a regular basis... (highly sleep inducing).

Good on you for reading Harry Potter to your young-uns Tom.  My son turned me on to HP nine years ago when he was two.

The adventure is coming to an end on July 15 with the release of Deathly Hallows Part II   :(

I read the first 5 books to my kids.  We ran out of time to read the rest.  When the first movie came out my tribe was upset that the actors didn't "sound like the book".   ;D

You're kids will remember that you did for the rest of their lives.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2011, 04:13:26 pm »
Reading, and haven't finished, "Confederacy of Dunces".  It's pretty good so far.  Also got 3 brewing books from Amazon last night.  Brewing with wheat, Radical brewing and the 80 clone one (can't remember the exact name).  Got lots of reading ahead of me.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 04:37:04 pm »
Reading, and haven't finished, "Confederacy of Dunces".  It's pretty good so far.  Also got 3 brewing books from Amazon last night.  Brewing with wheat, Radical brewing and the 80 clone one (can't remember the exact name).  Got lots of reading ahead of me.

Confederacy of Dunces is such a good book. I don't know exactly what it is about it that makes it so good but I have read it three or four times not counting listening to the audible version. It makes me cringe but in a good way.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 09:22:43 pm »
Confederacy of Dunces.  Hadn't heard of that one in a while. Too bad the author committed suicide after he wrote it. He could have written more...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »
Confederacy of Dunces.  Hadn't heard of that one in a while. Too bad the author committed suicide after he wrote it. He could have written more...
It seems like you have to be flawed to be brilliant...

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2011, 11:31:38 pm »
It seems like you have to be flawed to be brilliant...

One man's ceiling is another man's floor...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 12:05:09 am »
Thanks for the recommedation on Confederacy of Dunces

I have overnight fire watch at our Spencer Beach campsite tonight.  I just bought and downloaded a copy to my iPad.  

Life is good!  I've got two lines in the water, a jar of white dog to sip on, a sky full of stars overhead, and a new book to read through the peace and quiet of tonight...

Hawaii!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:12:33 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2011, 12:49:01 am »
Thanks for the recommedation on Confederacy of Dunces

I have overnight fire watch at our Spencer Beach campsite tonight.  I just bought and downloaded a copy to my iPad.  

Life is good!  I've got two lines in the water, a jar of white dog to sip on, a sky full of stars overhead, and a new book to read through the peace and quiet of tonight...

Hawaii!

It's an intriguing read. And funny.

I'd be outside looking at the stars with a beer in my hand right now but the skeeters would tear my ass up. So I'm running out and adjusting (moving) the sprinkler on my vegetables during commercials.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 02:46:25 am »
Post apocalyptic Central Florida

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 11:20:12 am »
I think that book is required reading in Central Florida. Lord knows it squicked me out when I read it as a kid.

What's on the shelf right now: (and by the shelf - I mean on the bed to be swept to the floor in the middle of the night)

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi (a re-imagining of H. Beam Piper's "Little Fuzzy") - I really have a soft spot for Scalzi thanks to Old Man's War (which is truly awesome)

Black Hats - A Tale of Al Capone and Wyatt Earp - Max Allan Collins (under a pseudonym) - same guy who wrote Road to Perdition so I really can't wait

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Newish epic fantasy novel. Stumbled across it because he interviewed my favorite "Urban Fantasy" author Jim Butcher at Comic con. (And of course I just tore through "Ghost Story", Book 13 of Butcher's Dresden Files series)

Also going back through the Travis McGee series, reading "A Patriot's History of the US" to be followed by a re-read of "A People's History of the US" (If my brain survives the idealogical whiplash, I should be stronger. :) )
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2011, 12:07:48 pm »
Drew, put the others aside for later & go right to The Name of the Wind. The 2nd book, The Wise Man's Fear, is out now as well.
Name of the Wind is f**kng awesome. Wise Man's Fear was good but not as compelling. Still, can't wait for the next one. Rothfuss is excellent.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline punatic

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »
I think that book is required reading in Central Florida. Lord knows it squicked me out when I read it as a kid.

I read it when McCoy AFB was still active. During the Cold War, B52s and KC135s were constanly flying in and out.  I lived in Conway so I saw them fly over.  The KC135s fully loaded tore holes in the sky when taking off. Incredibly loud at 110% throttle.

That book scared me pretty bad too when I read it back then.  I read it right after I read On The Beach by Nevil Shute.

Reading it now it seems pretty naive.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2011, 06:21:28 pm »
If you like memoirs I cannot recommend The Glass Castle high enough. It was written by Jeanette Walls.

Go The F**ck To Sleep was hilarious especially with Samuel L. Jackson.
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2011, 11:26:07 pm »
I read it when McCoy AFB was still active. During the Cold War, B52s and KC135s were constanly flying in and out.  I lived in Conway so I saw them fly over.  The KC135s fully loaded tore holes in the sky when taking off. Incredibly loud at 110% throttle.

Yeah, I was born in Pine Hills the year before they decommissioned McCoy. So no active memories for me, but of course Orlando still have the NTC until the 90's so still a target!

Reading it now it seems pretty naive.

Oh yeah.. you'll be safe in Ft. Christmas when nuclear war happens! :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison