Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash out questions  (Read 7577 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash out questions
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 09:25:17 am »
Agreed, Matt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

ccarlson

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 04:54:52 pm »
I rarely get my mash temp hot enough to denature anyway, but the other advantages of heating the mash (eliminating stuck sparges, improved efficiency, etc) make it worth the effort.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 04:57:17 pm »
I rarely get my mash temp hot enough to denature anyway, but the other advantages of heating the mash (eliminating stuck sparges, improved efficiency, etc) is still worth the effort.
If you believe that to be true.  I've begun to question if I've ever really checked my efficiency rigorously enough to compare the two, and have never had a stuck sparge so . . .
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 05:32:55 pm »
I rarely get my mash temp hot enough to denature anyway, but the other advantages of heating the mash (eliminating stuck sparges, improved efficiency, etc) is still worth the effort.
If you believe that to be true.  I've begun to question if I've ever really checked my efficiency rigorously enough to compare the two, and have never had a stuck sparge so . . .

I've tried it many ways and have kept fairly good notes. I have no doubt that it helps. Preventing stuck sparges is pretty subjective, but the efficiency increase is based on numbers.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 05:58:17 pm »
I've experienced slightly higher efficiency when bumping up the temp at the end for a 15-20 minute rest.  However, I experience that bump whether it's at 160F or 170F.  Also, I haven't eliminated the possibility that the efficiency bump is due more to giving it a good stirring while stepping up the temp than the temp itself.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 11:02:05 pm »
Right, is the bump in efficiency due to the temp rise, the stirring, the longer mash . . . all of them?  I haven't tested it rigorously, and I suspect most people haven't either.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 09:26:42 am »
Based on Kai's experiments using cool water to sparge without an efficiency loss, I've come to believe that efficiency increases due to adding hot water to the mash happen because of increased conversion from the hot water.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

ccarlson

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 09:57:24 am »
Based on Kai's experiments using cool water to sparge without an efficiency loss, I've come to believe that efficiency increases due to adding hot water to the mash happen because of increased conversion from the hot water.

Are there other cold water sparge experiments that Kai or yourself ran, or is it just the one that's posted on his site?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 10:03:16 am »
I'm pretty sure the only one Kai has done is on his website.  I didn't do ant formal experiments, but I did try sparging with 60F water a couple times just to see what happened.  I got the same efficiency that I do when I brew that recipe with hot sparge water.  In that recipe, even using hot sparge water, the mash temp never gets above about 158.

www.dennybrew.com

ccarlson

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 10:12:50 am »
I'm pretty sure the only one Kai has done is on his website.  I didn't do ant formal experiments, but I did try sparging with 60F water a couple times just to see what happened.  I got the same efficiency that I do when I brew that recipe with hot sparge water.  In that recipe, even using hot sparge water, the mash temp never gets above about 158.

Interesting. That's not at all what I, or a fellow brewer experienced. Oh well, I'll stick with something that I know works.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 10:25:17 am »

Interesting. That's not at all what I, or a fellow brewer experienced. Oh well, I'll stick with something that I know works.

I'm definitely not planning on making sparging with cool water a regular part of my brewing!  I was just curious about what would happen.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 03:16:03 pm »

I'm definitely not planning on making sparging with cool water a regular part of my brewing!  I was just curious about what would happen.
It would just take that much longer to come to a boil. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 04:37:44 pm »

It would just take that much longer to come to a boil. :)

Yep.  It's not a practical thing to do.  Just an experimental exercise.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »
I think it would simplify my process to use cool sparge water - I wouldn't have to use my kettle as an HLT during the sparge, and I wouldn't have to deal with heat loss from the sparge water.  Maybe I'll give it a try.  Any reason not to use cool water for sparging, assuming there's no impact to efficiency and that I wouldn't mash out anyway?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 09:36:28 pm »
Well, for me I would heat it anyway so it would boil faster, but if that doesn't bother you then it's worth a try.
Tom Schmidlin