Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: French Saison yeast quirky?  (Read 6858 times)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Re: French Saison yeast quirky?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 08:45:39 am »
I've had my saison I made with 3711 in the keg for alomst 2 weeks and there's not much clearing going on. I believe this yeast is a low floc-er.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:04 am »
Couple years ago I found a kit for a black french saison, I thought it looked interesting so I got it and brewed it. It used 3711 and also, which was very new, at least to me at the time, NZ Cascade hops in it. Well... I ended up giving it to a buddy who thought it was awesome. I just didnt like it. Nothing wrong with it, just didnt like the way it tasted... I've never used 3711 again. But something I just figured out earlier this week... I've been doing test smashs with NZ hops and finally got around to drinking the NZ cascade. I now know what I didnt like about it... the mix of that hop with the characters of that yeast just didn't blend well in my opinion. So it was pretty cool to figure out a combo I don't like... I may actually give that yeast a try again... with just a 'regular' saison recipe and 'traditional' hops...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 06:41:03 am »
So much for my Lighter Beer...I missed the numbers
because I just did not want to mash that small of a grain quantity...
I added a handfull of this, and a hand full of that ...and some
extra odds n ends of grain that needed to be used....
The gravity went to 1.071 and I cooled it and pitched it on the
Yeast cake hit it with lots of med grade Oxygen and it took off fermenting
before I got the brewery cleaning finished.  I left it in the warmish
garage thinking saison can stand the warmer temp ...it was cooled into
the 60's mind you...when I found it next morning it had ramped up
and was really fermenting hard. The temp may have been in the 80's
I did not measure it, but it had some internal heat going on...I am thinking
this beer may be a headache beer...(I still don't know). So I moved it into the front
of the swamp cooler.  Three days later it has stopped fermenting and the
sp.gr. was 1.011....I am thinking this is scarey...The Hyd tube was so yeasty
Highly turbid! I poured it into a glass  and then set the glass into the refer to crash
 cool...that evening I tried the beer and well It made beer, gonna need a lotta time
 to condition but maybe ok...

Three days to chew thru that much sugar...WOW what a workhorse.

Today, I see it out gassing some so I will give it another week to clean up itself
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:03:38 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 11:00:55 pm »
I Brewed a Rye Saison at 1.074.  It fermented down to 1.006.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline crworkman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 09:57:49 am »
Do you need to push the temp up on this one, like the DuPont strain?

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 10:00:27 am »
No, I typically ferment this yeast in mid-60s and never had a problem with attenutation; usually finishes in mid single digits.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 10:28:56 am »
Follow up from last post  ::) now 4 months later and pouring a decent beer.
It still has a bit more turbidity than I believe It should and it may clear up
before the keg gets kicked.  Not any fuesels, no headache...just saison.
It really has a lot of head. Must be from the handfuls of this n that that I added.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 10:36:52 am »
Good to know.  I used the Belgian in my last Saison and it stalled at 1.030.  Had to raise the temp over 80F to get it kick-started again!  The beer came out great, but what a hassle!  I think I know what beer I'm making next.......
Dave Zach

Offline FRACKER

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 10:43:51 am »
In my experience 3711 is a real freight train. I usually ferment it in the high 70s and usually get an FG around 1.004. As far as the turbidity I'd have to suggest that it's either your mash temp (Yielding high protein concentration), your chilling process (not bringing your temp down quick enough), or your adjuncts.

Personally I love that yeast. I've used it with every Saison that I've brewed, and always with incredible results.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 10:50:41 am »
In my experience 3711 is a real freight train. I usually ferment it in the high 70s and usually get an FG around 1.004. As far as the turbidity I'd have to suggest that it's either your mash temp (Yielding high protein concentration), your chilling process (not bringing your temp down quick enough), or your adjuncts.

Personally I love that yeast. I've used it with every Saison that I've brewed, and always with incredible results.
I secondary in my Corney Keg and just go for the gusto.  It could just be the dregs that setteled down to the dip tube area
and they are first out...I have only poured 3 glasses out of this keg so far...and the carb level is too high I am sure...

And david, I usually ferment saisons in the summer just to take advantage of the high ambient temps.

Offline FRACKER

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 06:48:41 pm »
To keep my fermentation temps up in the winter (I live in upstate NY), I fill a rubbermade tub with water, and I bought a submersible fish tank heater for it. it has room for 2 carboys and it works amazing all year long!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »
To keep my fermentation temps up in the winter (I live in upstate NY), I fill a rubbermade tub with water, and I bought a submersible fish tank heater for it. it has room for 2 carboys and it works amazing all year long!

Wow, how big is that tub?  I've been using that method for a long time, but I can only do one batch at a time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline FRACKER

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 06:47:08 am »
I use one of those big 50 gal "packers" that you get at walmart. To help the fishtank heater maintain the temp, i keep the setup in a closet with the doors closed. I can fit two 6 gal carboys and a 3 gal at the same time, it's pretty awesome......except when I have to change the water. That's usually a 2 person job  :-\