Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Rye?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
American Rye?
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:44:00 pm »
American Rye

4 lb two-row pale
3 lb rye, flaked (what's more American than high percentage adjunct? I just don't have the malted.)
4 oz crystal 75L
2 oz Melanoidin (just for a touch of maltyness reminiscent of a real Roggen)

.75 oz Sterling (7%) at 25
.75 oz Columbus (14%) at 5 (all late additions)

Should come in at 5 gallons at 1.045, 6 SRM and 20 IBUs. I'll probably use US-05 fermented in the low 60's and serve it clear.

I might do a cereal mash to squeeze all the flavor I can out of the rye. Maybe even toast a pound.

What do you think? Any one have a good American rye recipe?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:46:02 pm by Malticulous »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: American Rye?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:35:35 pm »
It looks interesting. How's that 75L? All I can get locally is 10,60,90 & 120.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:18:32 pm »
It's Great Western from B3. IMO it's the same a Briess 80L. I like it in browns and porters. It's what I have and I think it will work well with the rye. I also have some 40L and 15L (both Great Western.)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 06:20:33 am »
Looks really good -- go for it, you'll love it.

In my American rye, I used 40% rye malt.  I also added just a hint of honey malt and honey.  The result was very thick, almost syrupy, and had an enormous head on it, both of which came as a pleasant surprise to me.  It was one of the best beers I have ever made.  I need to make it again soon.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:29:56 pm »
I did a cereal mash and boiled it about a half hour. Ended up with 5.5 gallon of 1.043 wort. It tasted more bitter than I had expected. My tank ran out of gas at 20 minutes so moved it to another burner and gave the 25 minute addition a little extra steeping time. It's now fermenting nicely at 63F.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 07:33:14 pm by Malticulous »

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:51:03 am »
This is one spicy beer. Very sharp. I used gelatin on it and it still will not clear. It's a wild beast of a brew. I stole a name for it, 'White Rhino.'

I think it screams for a twist of orange. I just can't bring myself to put fruit in a beer. I think I'll try to get that with some differnt hops next time.

I was looking at the guidelines again and noticed something must have been changed. It says darker versions are acceptable now and it used to say they should go into the specialty beer category?

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 04:53:07 pm »
I'm going to re-brew this soon with some changes. It's from the health food store and (what will be) leftovers.
4.5 gallon batch. I will use a cereal mash.

2 Lb Cracked wheat
1.5 lb 6-row
1 lb Pilsner
1 lb Flaked rye (pungent stuff)
8 oz crystal 40L (going for lighter color)

.5 oz Summit 15 minutes (I want the strong citrus flavor)
.5 oz Columbus 5 minutes

90 minute boil (damn Pilsner) around 1.045 OG and just over 20 IBU.
~~~~
I brewed it on 1/30. I upped the Summit and lost the Columbus. I used half the 6-row in the cereal mash.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:38:03 am by Malticulous »

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 08:57:06 pm »
Just a bump with my progress on the recipe.

My latest re-brew is very good. Here it is at hopville.
http://hopville.com/recipe/614355/american-wheat-or-rye-beer-recipes/tiger-in-the-rye

I want the color lighter. I'm also going to eliminate the cereal mash and simplify it further. Summit is amazing in this recipe and I want to spotlight it even more. It's like I added citrus--it will fool you. So here is what I expect to be the finial rendition (for 5.5 gallons.)

3 lb   8 oz   American Six-row Pale
1 lb   12 oz American Rye Malt
1 lb   12 oz American White Wheat Malt
12 oz Weyermann CaraHell (hoping to get the sweetness and less color)

15 mins .6 oz Summit (18%)
dry hop 7 days .25 oz Summit

White Labs 320.

Comments?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:58:55 pm by Malticulous »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 11:46:28 pm »
It's interesting you're doing late additions only with high alpha. I've been doing this as well on some brews and think the bitterness is still pretty apparent along with the hop flavor.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis