Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Wort Hopping  (Read 3209 times)

Offline pmallory

• Cellarman
First Wort Hopping
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:27:43 pm »
For first wort hopping what is the utilization, is it about 30%? Does it add any flavor? I've read it adds aroma. I'm just curious how to adjust my recipe if I even need to at all. Do you need to add aroma hops or is it taken care of with the First wort hopping.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:29:42 pm by pmallory »

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Re: First Wort Hopping
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:47:17 pm »
Gordon Strong, in his new book "Brewing Better Beer", lays it out.  He considers it about equivalent with adding hops at 20 minutes left in the boil, if I recall correctly.
Kirk Howell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:29 pm »
In my experience it does add flavor, but the flavor is more subtle.  If you're looking for forward hop flavor you may want to augment with a flavor addition.  You're not going to get any aroma from it.

I did an all FWH ESB and while it was good, I wouldn't do it again.  I want more hops, both in terms of bitterness (or the perception thereof) and flavor, than what FWH provide all on their lonesome. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 10:11:59 am »
Definitely makes a flavor contribution, no aroma.  For bitterness, lots of folks calculate it as equivalent to a 20 minute addition.  Personally, I tend to treat it more like a 65 minute addition.
Joe

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:25:26 am »
Definitely makes a flavor contribution, no aroma.  For bitterness, lots of folks calculate it as equivalent to a 20 minute addition.  Personally, I tend to treat it more like a 65 minute addition.

+1  For my tastes, estimating the perceived bitterness of a FWH addition at 20 minutes just didn't seem right.  I also treat my FWH additions like a 65 minute addition (as far as perceived bitterness is concerned).
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:09:18 am »
I asked the same question a few weeks ago.  Seems like there are two camps.  Some think it's comparable to a 20 minute addition, others think it adds much more bitterness than that.  I just brewed a very plain cream ale using only 1 oz of Cascade FWH to make up my mind for myself.  I've also added 1 oz of FWH and then 20g of Northern Brewer to a 60 minute boil and I will say it was not as bitter as I would have expected 1.75 oz of 8% AA hops added for a full 60 mins so I think the FWH bitterness was less than it would have been added at full boil.  I like the flavour but I'm not sure that I'm going to keep doing this.  I think it depends a lot on the type of beer I want to make. 

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:26:23 pm »
I actually mentioned both in my book since there are obviously different opinions on it.

IBUs are real. They can be measured. FWH measures out to about the same as a 65 minute boil addition. That's known.

But it doesn't really always taste that way to me.  So I mentioned the 20 minute stat, and introduced the notion of real bitterness vs. perceived bitterness.  I haven't done enough tests to decide when that holds true and when it doesn't, but I know in some styles, the bitterness just seems less since it isn't as harsh.

I guess I might treat is as a 20 minute addition in a hoppy beer and a 65 minute addition in a delicate beer.  I remember doing it in an APA and thinking that it wound up tasting more like a blonde ale.

There's more to how you pick up bitterness on your palate than simply IBUs.  I also introduced the notion of BU:FG as a way of thinking about it.  It's just kinda hard to do some of these tests since I don't have lab equipment that can measure IBUs, and the real tests are expensive.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong