Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: congrats and prayers  (Read 3007 times)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
congrats and prayers
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:11:38 am »
I just wanted to say congrats to my son the newly commissioned Ensign Donatus Weithman.  I swore him in on 11JUL11, and he graduated from Ohio State on the 12th.  He will be reporting to flight school in Penacola around October.  May his career in the air be better than mine under the water. :)
Don AHA member

ccarlson

Re: congrats and prayers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:22:07 am »
Thanks to you and your son for your service.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:22:50 am »
What's he looking to fly?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 07:53:58 am »
he is still undecided.  i think he is still leaning toward fighters, but last summer he spent a month with a helo squadron out of jacksonville, and had a blast.  i keep reminding him that there are more airplanes at the bottom of the ocean than there are submarines at the top of the sky.  he never bought my argument ;D
Don AHA member

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:46:54 am »
he is still undecided.  i think he is still leaning toward fighters, but last summer he spent a month with a helo squadron out of jacksonville, and had a blast.  i keep reminding him that there are more airplanes at the bottom of the ocean than there are submarines at the top of the sky.  he never bought my argument ;D

If he wants job security, helos are the way to go IMO. Most fighters these days are cold war era budget drainer bling (bombers and things like the A-10 are different, though), and coastal/littoral/inland warfare is a safe bet in terms of where we're probably going to be engaged in the future.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:04:41 am »
i keep reminding him that there are more airplanes at the bottom of the ocean than there are submarines at the top of the sky.  he never bought my argument ;D

OTOH, in the next conflict, given the technology on those ASW helos, there'll probably be more subs at the bottom of the ocean because of the helos in the sky.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »
the c2 was the first platform he was interested in but it can either be transport platform of electronic countermeasures around a carrier.  one fun one sucks.  then he got interested in jets a little more when the helo squadron he was with was on the carrier.   

helo asw must have improved in the last 20 years because they were lacking back in my day.
Don AHA member

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 01:42:40 pm »
If he wants job security, helos are the way to go IMO. Most fighters these days are cold war era budget drainer bling (bombers and things like the A-10 are different, though), and coastal/littoral/inland warfare is a safe bet in terms of where we're probably going to be engaged in the future.

ASW helicopters might be job security in the Navy, but in the Army attack helicopters are struggling. Experience in Iraq and Afghanistan has shown that they're fairly vulnerable to groundfire. Drones are more robust and cost-effective.

In terms of employability in the civilian sector, he's better off going for a transport, AWACS or patrol plane; something big with multiple engines.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 08:47:20 pm »

ASW helicopters might be job security in the Navy, but in the Army attack helicopters are struggling. Experience in Iraq and Afghanistan has shown that they're fairly vulnerable to groundfire. Drones are more robust and cost-effective.

In terms of employability in the civilian sector, he's better off going for a transport, AWACS or patrol plane; something big with multiple engines.

First of all congrats. And condolences to the new ensign. Too bad he's a squid. (Sorry, USAF 1983-1991...couldn't resist.) As a former aircraft maintenance officer (and before that, jet mech), concur with the comments re employability. But I have found that my 8 years (started as 4...) serving Uncle Sam (mostly on fighter aircraft) have been infinitely transferable in terms of my professional advancement. The military was great preparation for the rest of my life. Whatever he does, he will end up a better person for it. Congrats to Dad and let us know what you brew in his name!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 03:38:23 am »
Congrats and prayers it is!
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 06:20:28 am »
Congrats and good vibes sent!
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 06:20:58 am »

let us know what you brew in his name!

simple apple cider.  the kid likes it.  (sucked down applejuice as a baby) started fermenting few months ago and now aging.  will bottle or keg before he heads to pensacola in october.

thanks for all the well wishes.
Don AHA member

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 06:30:57 am »
Congrats, good luck, and most of all, thanks to you and your son for your service.
Mark Gres

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 01:46:14 pm »
sorry to resume this old thread, but a little update.

My oldest just completed primary flight school in enid oklahoma (yes this is an airforce base and not navy) and will be headed back to pensacola to join training wing 5.  He opted to not go tailhook and instead will be flying seahawks.
Don AHA member