Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe-wise, Ever Fail To Perfect A Style?  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
Re: Recipe-wise, Ever Fail To Perfect A Style?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 07:52:17 pm »
Freaking light lagers.  Either they come out lighter than Bud, or with an off flavor.  Drinking one now as I write this wondering what I need to do to dial it in.  I'm thinking the yeast...
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 07:58:13 am »
For me it's Dortmunder.  I understand it's going to take many many batches to get exactly what I want!

Will's, on the light lager, I would look at your water, pitching rate and fermentation temps a bit more closely.  When you have a beer that lightly flavored it becomes really difficult to make a perfect example!
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 08:13:24 am »
You're right on all three fronts.  My tap water recently nose-dived in pH, so I need to get a new analysis; I'm a chronic under-pitcher which I know is particularly frowned upon for lagers; and I struggle with finding the optimal fermentation temperature for my lagers, high 40's and my yeasties stall, low 50's and I don't get the flavor profile I want.  It still makes beer, but it's just not where I want it yet...
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 08:48:44 am »
I'd say for a really lite lager you may want to go out and buy all RO water and bring up the calcium to 50ppm with a 50/50 blend of calcium chloride and calcium sulfate.  You'll be in the range but you might want to even add a bit of acid, 1/2 tsp of Phosphoric (75%) to the HLT to get the mash temps right.  This makes such a huge difference!  

I'm with you on the fermentation temps!  I've tried to cheat by fermenting lagers in the low 50s and always regretted it!
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51:54 pm »
i find it funny that most people are having a difficult time nailing down some really technical brews and one of the more revered brewers is having troubles with a simple porter.  i think in that case it's just your own expectations and desired outcome.  i can't seem to get an IPA that i like.  i'm sipping a 'Hop Knot' right now thinking that i should just save my time and energy and help keep Four Peaks in b'ness.  but who am i kidding, it's way too fun to keep trying!

cheers!