Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: contradictory beers  (Read 2254 times)

Offline frochild

• Cellarman
contradictory beers
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:13:29 pm »
I am planning a party for September 29-ish in which I celebrate the late philosopher, Miguel de Unamuno's birthday. He was a walking contradiction and in order to honor his memory, I looking for recipes of beers that come off as rather contradictory.    I realize that any beer made well cannot be a contradiction onto itself ( really just more creative), I am just trying to have some fun.  Let met start of with an example:  Imperial porter made with lager yeast.   I am sure that such a beer is not really any sort of shocker, most especially to you guys, but for me personally, I rarely think of a Imperial beer or a porter being made with lager yeast.  Thus, it fits the bill for the party.  If anyone else has good recipes that fit the above description, I would love to hear about it.   I would prefer ale's because the coolest I can brew right now is in the mid 60's, but if you think a lager yest at that temp is worth it, I am game.   I'll also take interesting contradictory food ideas as well, even though it is not really what this section of the forum is for.

Cheers

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
Re: contradictory beers
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:42:29 pm »
Not sure if this is something of what you are looking for, but this is based on a "lager" kit, but done as an ale and has dark grains steeped in it.  It turned out pretty darn good.  (Friends and I drank it up within a week).  ;D

50 g cracked crystal malt (to be steeped 30 min at about 70° C)
100 g of cracked chocolate malt (to be steeped 30 min at about 70° C)
1 can of coopers lager liquid malt kit (added at boil)
1.5 kg (about 3 lbs) of light dry malt extract (added at boil)
20 g Hallertaur Hersbrucker (added in last 10 min of boil)
yeast: Denny’s Favorite 50
bring 1 gallon of water to about 70° C
steep grains in water between 66°C-77°C for about 30 minutes
add two gallons of water
bring to a boil
heat can of extract in separate pan of water while wort is coming to a boil
once wort is boiling turn off flame and add extracts
- 1 kg - 1.5 kg of LME
- Can of liquid malt extract
bring back to a boil stirring as often as possible and boil for about 20 minutes BUT
add hops with about 12 minutes left of the boil time
top off with water to 19 liters
get wort down to about 20-22°C
pitch yeast
Ferment between 68°F-72°F (20°C-22.2°C) for about 3 weeks.
(accidentally fermented at about 73F for first three days)
bottle with 128 g of corn sugar and bottle condition for about 2 weeks.
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:49:14 pm »
Black India Pale Ale ;D

Or you can go with some of these concepts and just make something up . . .
Pale Stout
Light Barleywine
Single Tripel
A wheat beer with no wheat (Bavarian Hefeweizen made with 100% pils malt but WY3068)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline frochild

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:48:26 am »
drooling over both!!!

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 05:51:31 am »
I am planning a party for September 29-ish in which I celebrate the late philosopher, Miguel de Unamuno's birthday. He was a walking contradiction and in order to honor his memory, I looking for recipes of beers that come off as rather contradictory.    I realize that any beer made well cannot be a contradiction onto itself ( really just more creative), I am just trying to have some fun.  Let met start of with an example:  Imperial porter made with lager yeast.   I am sure that such a beer is not really any sort of shocker, most especially to you guys, but for me personally, I rarely think of a Imperial beer or a porter being made with lager yeast.  Thus, it fits the bill for the party.  If anyone else has good recipes that fit the above description, I would love to hear about it.   I would prefer ale's because the coolest I can brew right now is in the mid 60's, but if you think a lager yest at that temp is worth it, I am game.   I'll also take interesting contradictory food ideas as well, even though it is not really what this section of the forum is for.

Cheers

I've long wanted to try an IIPA as a lager. After the Mikkeler yeast series, I know it would work.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:16:24 am »

Cheers

I've long wanted to try an IIPA as a lager. After the Mikkeler yeast series, I know it would work.

You chose my next beer for me. This will be an interesting experiment.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!