Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I am declaring right now!  (Read 8668 times)

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
Re: I am declaring right now!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:40 pm »
I think it makes perfect sense to have it in Seattle. The PNW is a beer mecca. Anyway, I think the majority of ya'll couldn't handle the heat down here. ;)

i disagree....not that the PNW is a beer mecca, as it is...but that a NHC has little to do with craft beer.  Its about homebrewing.  NHC can be anywhere because you can homebrew anywhere.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 01:26:52 pm »
Philly is definitely a possibility for me. Just got back from a Baltimore/Philly trip and I definitely want to go back. Would be cool if they tie it in with Philly Beer Week too.

You may not want to do that tie-in considering how insanely crowded Philly gets during that week.  I just wish they'd make it a weekend or two later so that school will be out for the summer and us folks with kids would be able to go.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »
I think it makes perfect sense to have it in Seattle. The PNW is a beer mecca. Anyway, I think the majority of ya'll couldn't handle the heat down here. ;)

i disagree....not that the PNW is a beer mecca, as it is...but that a NHC has little to do with craft beer.  Its about homebrewing.  NHC can be anywhere because you can homebrew anywhere.

Well, it can't exactly be anywhere because you need to have enough "club power" to pull it off and the right facility.  Also, you'd be surprised at how many people attend because of the proximity of commercial breweries.  There are a LOT of people who came to San Diego on sat. before a Thur. conference in order to tour breweries.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 06:58:52 pm »

As Denny said, it takes some clubs with organization and motivation to do the NHC.  WA has that.  It also helps that they have a strong pool of BJCP judges to do the final round.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 08:42:20 pm »

i disagree....not that the PNW is a beer mecca, as it is...but that a NHC has little to do with craft beer.  Its about homebrewing.  NHC can be anywhere because you can homebrew anywhere.

Man, how can you have a NHC without all of the iced bussing trays full of microbrews to choose from at all of the breakout sessions?  Or all of the kegged microbrews at the dinner and commercial night?  Homebrew alone could not carry the load by itself at the NHCs.

Think:  All Beer - All The Time!  It is amazing!!

(that's why it takes a few days to recover once you've returned home)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:44:06 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline markemiley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 09:42:51 pm »
Hope to see you all out there!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 01:19:53 am »
Hope to see you all out there here!
Fixed it for you Mark. ;)

No worries about the heat euge, as long as the AC works.  We wouldn't have survived Vegas otherwise. :)

I'm one of the ones who flew in to SD early, it was a great time.  The better the destination, the earlier I'll get there and I arrived for the Seattle conference today, so . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 11:53:19 am »
I just might try to make that one a goal myself for next year...I have never visited the Pacific Northwest.   And in all the years I've been brewing never been to a brew convention either.

Sure would be great to meet some of the nice folks on the boards!
 :)

Agreed, and that's one of the main reasons I went to SD.  It really was nice to meet some of the guys that post here often.  It's amazing how friendly everyone was.  To all those I did meet:  Kudo, and see ya next in Seattle. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 11:56:05 am »
Nice to meet you and your wife, Mic!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 12:00:12 pm »
Hope to see you all out there here!
Fixed it for you Mark. ;)

No worries about the heat euge, as long as the AC works.  We wouldn't have survived Vegas otherwise. :)

I'm one of the ones who flew in to SD early, it was a great time.  The better the destination, the earlier I'll get there and I arrived for the Seattle conference today, so . . .

I like the way you're thinking Tom. 

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 02:34:39 pm »
Nice to meet you and your wife, Mic!

Thanks Denny, Likewise.

(BTW - Kelly is not my wife.  But I do hope she wants the job........  )

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 02:54:32 pm »

Well, it can't exactly be anywhere because you need to have enough "club power" to pull it off and the right facility.  Also, you'd be surprised at how many people attend because of the proximity of commercial breweries.  There are a LOT of people who came to San Diego on sat. before a Thur. conference in order to tour breweries.

Forgive my ignorance, but why is club power a requirement?

Does it make any sense to host the NHC in an area with a lower amount of homebrewers and use it as a catalyst to get more people in these areas excited about homebrewing?

I'd also like to see the NHC on the East Coast.  I haven't gone because of the travel, and I can't remember when it was on the East Coast last (was it in Baltimore once with the mini-GABF)?
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 03:00:29 pm »

Does it make any sense to host the NHC in an area with a lower amount of homebrewers and use it as a catalyst to get more people in these areas excited about homebrewing?

I'd also like to see the NHC on the East Coast.  I haven't gone because of the travel, and I can't remember when it was on the East Coast last (was it in Baltimore once with the mini-GABF)?

Club power matters because it's pretty much clubs, not the NHC, that put on the conference.  The NHC offers help and support, but the clubs provide the manpower and organization.  The AHA staff is only 4 1/2 people and there's no way they could do it without clubs.  Not only that, but in my 6 years of going to conferences, I can't recall running into anyone there who isn't already a brewer.  It might pull a few non brewers, but I don't think it would work to assume that it would bring in new people.

BTW, the conference will be in Philly in 2013.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 03:01:48 pm »

The conference relies on the locals to actually put on the conference.  Without the local clubs doing much of the work, it just wouldn't go well.  If this were a professional conference where they can charge $900 to attend they could afford to hire professional planning staff to make sure everything goes well, but we are hobbyists and are paying out of our own pockets.  You've got to have the local hosts.

Or in other words, what Denny said.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 03:02:07 pm »

Well Tim, I'm quite the novice on the NHC, but from other national confrences that I have been involved with, the local club, association, or whatever does much of the leg work to make these happen.  From arranging pre-conference events, to pouring beer at the educational session.  I'm sure the AHA provides great support and such, but it takes many local volunteers to make it work.  Last week, all the folks "in yellow shirts" were working the *sses off.  And I sure apreciate their efforts and hope to pay them back by helping out in Seattle.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:14:16 pm by dbeechum »