Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sweet Deal in Copper Tubing  (Read 3680 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Sweet Deal in Copper Tubing
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:18:19 am »
Cheap 3/8" copper tubing at buy.com.  Its $40 for 50' with free shipping and no sales tax, unless you live in an unlucky state.
Wort chillers for all...

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90142946

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:49:36 am by rjharper »

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: Sweet Deal in Copper Tubing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:05:31 am »
And it arrived today.  My free, 9 business day shipping actually came from a warehouse 75 miles away, so I got it overnight, for free!  Apparently I'm making that barley wine this weekend after all.  I'll post a pic of the finished chiller when I'm done.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:26:52 am »
Not a bad deal. I actually got a beter deal on mine. It was free. I built a 50'er, and that thing is A BEAST!!!  You are going to love yours. (and if you don't do it already, sir your wort opposite the flow of your coil, and your temp will drop even faster)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline toastedman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:46:25 pm »
        not sure i'm understanding this, (stir your wort opposite of coil flow)  do you mean the liquid inside the coil, or the curvator of the copper itself. i already have whirlpool cooling using a pump. i gotta try this, mabey i going the wrong direction, i'm always looking for a better way.  

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:24:39 pm by toastedman »

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:49:47 pm »
I added a 330 gph pond pump, figure I'll recirculate ice water for a faster drop.  All part of graduation from extract to all grain

Offline toastedman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:37:06 pm »
I added a 330 gph pond pump, figure I'll recirculate ice water for a faster drop.  All part of graduation from extract to all grain

yea, that will speed your cooling up for sure, you need to use tap water first till it down to near 100* , then switch to your ice water, if you don't do this your ice water will only last a short peroid of time

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 06:16:44 am »
       not sure i'm understanding this, (stir your wort opposite of coil flow)  do you mean the liquid inside the coil, or the curvator of the copper itself. i already have whirlpool cooling using a pump. i gotta try this, mabey i going the wrong direction, i'm always looking for a better way.  

If your chiller flows clockwise, stir your wort counter-clockwise. And, vice-versa.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline toastedman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:40:25 am »

If your chiller flows clockwise, stir your wort counter-clockwise. And, vice-versa.
   yup, seems to be ezactly what i'm doin, so i won't change anything. thanks weazletoe