Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg to keg transfer  (Read 3699 times)

Offline robb

• 1st Kit
Keg to keg transfer
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:59:45 pm »
I recently got the OK to invest in a 2-1/2 gallon keg to bring to parties, etc. and I’m looking for some advice on how to fill it from one my 5 gallon kegs. 

Thanks in advance.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
Re: Keg to keg transfer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:07:27 pm »
Just make a jumper line that goes from the beer out post on your 5 gallon keg to the beer out post on your 2.5 gallon keg.  You'll want to lower the pressure on your 5 gallon keg so that the beer flows slowly and provide a way for gas to escape from your 2.5 gallon.  Probably just open the main port so that you can monitor the fill level.  Then purge and serve.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:05:19 pm »
What he said......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:39:00 am »
The jumper works great for moving StarSan over to a new keg and leaving the empty full of CO2, purged and ready for your next batch.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:30:11 am »
Just to add.

You can monitor the fill level by weight, or if the beer in the source keg is cold, condensation on the receiver keg (at least that works in humid MI). 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 12:00:00 pm »
The jumper works great for moving StarSan over to a new keg and leaving the empty full of CO2, purged and ready for your next batch.
+1.  Just twist open the relief valve a little until the beer starts to flow.  When foam comes out you're done!
Brew on

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 12:10:07 pm »
Just to add.

You can monitor the fill level by weight, or if the beer in the source keg is cold, condensation on the receiver keg (at least that works in humid MI). 

If there's not enough humidity to form much condensation, you can also get a pretty good sense of the beer level in the receiving keg using your fingertips, assuming the beer being transferred is cold.    Just leave your fingers in contact with the keg for several seconds - you can easily feel the difference between the fingers that lie under the liquid level (they will be cold, and _stay_ cold) and the fingers above (which will not feel all that cold for long, as your fingers will heat up the metal a bit).

My wife says it looks like I'm doing a Vulcan mind-meld with the keg when I do this.  I'm ok with that.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:34:20 pm »
"The meld is with the yeast, honey.  NOT the keg.  Duh!"
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 11:10:26 am »
My wife says it looks like I'm doing a Vulcan mind-meld with the keg when I do this.  I'm ok with that.

Nice.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:38:37 am »
If it's not humid enough....breathe on it (obv beer must be cold though).  You're on your own explaining that to your wife.  One thing I do to make it a tiny bit easier is to use my adjustable spunding valve on the receiver keg IN post.  Just set it to a few pounds lower than the CO2 pressure and then just let it slowly transfer without having to pull relief valve poppets or anything.