Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC San Diego Update  (Read 9368 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
NHC San Diego Update
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:02:56 am »
Hey all youse lucky Forumite San Diego NHCers...

Howsit?

Share!

i.e.  How was Ken Schramm's presentation?

I know, I know....
You're at the NHC,  who gives a RA about the forum when you can do it in real time?  Us poor schmoes who couldn't be there, that's who!

The more you share now, the more of us who'll be with you in Seattle in '12.

...Forumite = beerstone?   ;D

Please Note:
Buzzed posting protocols are temporarily suspended.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:21:45 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: NHC San Diego Update
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:23:40 am »
It is a top shelf production.

Pre-events were very good and well organized.

Our club had a hospitality shift, and the Falcons were a big help to usa getting set up.  Shout out to Drew and Kent (a true Brewguyver) for the help.  FYI - I had a CAP shipped cross country, and it was pouring fine.

My wife poured for Ken today, and said it went well.  I will go to the second time he gives it tomorrow.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:23:27 am »
It is a great time.  Everyone has worked hard to make it all run smoothly.

The pre-con events were well done, too.  The alesmith tour was awesome, they gave us a glass and a bomber of IPA on top of a great tour by the owner Peter, and they set aside a bottle of bourbon barrel speedway stout for each of us to purchase.  It was release day... they had hundreds of people lining up for it in the morning.  :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:27:39 am by narvin »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:12:56 am »
It's been a killer conference so far.  Really smooth, great facility, lots of great beer.....hell, people even attended my seminar for some reason I can't fathom.  Tonight is club night which is always the highlight for me.  If you're thinking about going to Seattle next year, don't hesitate...just do it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:15:51 am »
It's been a killer conference so far.  Really smooth, great facility, lots of great beer.....hell, people even attended my seminar for some reason I can't fathom.  Tonight is club night which is always the highlight for me.  If you're thinking about going to Seattle next year, don't hesitate...just do it!

I've been watching the twitter feeds from the AHA and I think the hardest part is picking which talk to go to.  There are some really good talks happening at the same time.  Do you typically do your talk a couple times during the conference?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:17:46 am »
It's been a killer conference so far.  Really smooth, great facility, lots of great beer.....hell, people even attended my seminar for some reason I can't fathom.  Tonight is club night which is always the highlight for me.  If you're thinking about going to Seattle next year, don't hesitate...just do it!

I've been watching the twitter feeds from the AHA and I think the hardest part is picking which talk to go to.  There are some really good talks happening at the same time.  Do you typically do your talk a couple times during the conference?

Starting about 3 years ago, nearly every speaker repeats their presentation on another day.  I did mine yesterday afternoon and again today.  Guess I'd better get out there and start handing out the bribes!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 09:57:50 am »
Tough choice this morning between three talks: Randy Mosher, Homebrew Chef or wild yeast and bacteria?

I judged all day yesterday: spice/herb/veg in the a.m. and wood/smoke in the p.m., then took a train to oldtowne for some fish tacos.  Back at the hotel was a HUGE pro brewer night, then drinking home brew poolside until very early this morning.

Excellent conference so far!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:12:53 am »
Great Conference so far. Beautiful weather. Wonderful resort.

I judged the morning session yesterday and all went smoothly although I think Harrold is a little stressed.

Went to Ken Schramm's session on Meads and really enjoyed it. I got to sample about six different kinds of mead. The conference room was full. He's a great speaker and injects some humor into the presentation to help keep it lively. I learned alot at that one. Stopped into Denny's presentation for a few. He had alot of homebrewers in on that one.

Also went to pro-brewers night last night and enjoyed at least 20 different brewery samples.

It's been a blast so far. Stay tuned.

Tonight is club night.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:32:29 am »
It's been a killer conference so far.  Really smooth, great facility, lots of great beer.....hell, people even attended my seminar for some reason I can't fathom. 

Quote from: Antiques Roadshow Thread
I can just hear  the appraiser now "Very rarely do you see a hippy in this good of shape....." 

;D

Kudos to whoever came up with the idea to have presenters present more than once.  Great idea! That was always the toughest part; deciding whom you would have to miss.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:29:21 am »
Wow. Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em coming.  (Envy and jealousy, and my own fault for not being there :'()

Anyone got any pictures on Flickr or Twitpic?
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 11:44:48 am »
I will try to make Seattle next year. Wish I wuz thur in SD now. And having a beer(s) and some fish tacos.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 12:38:42 pm »
Just had seven different saisons in Drew's session.  I made some notes!
Time for the opening toast by Vinnie.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 01:50:54 am »
It's great that some of the talks are repeated, but it is only ever the ones that are given Thursday afternoon.  That way, people judging the 2nd session of the 2nd round won't miss a talk.

Great time, nice to see everyone. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tallcall

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:35:50 am »
Great conference all of the talks were first rate. Pro-Brewers night and club night were fantastic, so many beers and only one mouth. Food at awards banquet was Excellent.  Will be in Seattle for sure.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:07 am »
It's been a killer conference so far.  Really smooth, great facility, lots of great beer.....hell, people even attended my seminar for some reason I can't fathom. 

Quote from: Antiques Roadshow Thread
I can just hear  the appraiser now "Very rarely do you see a hippy in this good of shape....." 

;D

Kudos to whoever came up with the idea to have presenters present more than once.  Great idea! That was always the toughest part; deciding whom you would have to miss.

We started doing after Orlando when we found judges bowing out of judging to attend seminars.  We need to have all the judges we can get, so the obvious choice was to start repeating seminars.

BTW, I constrained myself to about 3 beers per day all week. 

www.dennybrew.com