Author Topic: NHC San Diego Update  (Read 3677 times)

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: NHC San Diego Update
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
BTW, I constrained myself to about 3 beers per day all week. 

Yes Denny...I think I will have to practice some restraint next year. I drank quite a bit this past weekend, all in good fun, but at the expense of sluggish mornings.

What an awesome conference!  :)
Ron Price

Offline kcworthog

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »
We started doing after Orlando when we found judges bowing out of judging to attend seminars.  We need to have all the judges we can get, so the obvious choice was to start repeating seminars.

I really appreciate that this decision was made. I was disappointed that 2 weren't repeated this year, though - Brewing with Brett & Hop Boil Chemistry. Both were ones that I really wanted to go to, but I made the decision to judge instead. My guess is that the speakers were only available at those times, or logistics prevented them from being repeated. Hopefully next year all Thursday afternoon sessions can be repeated.  8)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »

Yes Denny...I think I will have to practice some restraint next year. I drank quite a bit this past weekend, all in good fun, but at the expense of sluggish mornings.

It was a GREAT conference!  Following my recent health problems, I put a pretty strict limit on my drinking.  The conference would be a lot less fun after having a stroke!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:45 AM »

It was a GREAT conference!  Following my recent health problems, I put a pretty strict limit on my drinking.  The conference would be a lot less fun after having a stroke!  ;)

Amen to that....we don't have to drink like fish to enjoy ourselves anyway.  :)
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • BJCP
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
Didn't know some of the Thurs PM talks weren't repeated -- that was always the plan.  Maybe it's harder with three tracks. 

Adding the judge reception, repeating Thurs talks, and cutting judging down to 1 day were all parts of the Hose The Judges Less initiative I pushed after the Orlando conference.  Judges can send me any other ideas privately; we'll see what we can do.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • BJCP
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 12:36:51 PM »
On the OT, I found that following the #NHC2011 hashtag on twitter was helpful in seeing what was going on.  Interested in hearing other lessons learned on keeping up to date.

Without a viable mobile solution, keeping up with the forum is just a non-starter.  If it's not on my phone, I'm not seeing it while at the conference.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Online theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
On the OT, I found that following the #NHC2011 hashtag on twitter was helpful in seeing what was going on.

I did this and it only made me kick myself harder for not going to the conference  >:(

Seriously, it was great information being posted and I WILL use it next year in Seattle!!
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club Member
https://www.facebook.com/SeacoastHomebrewClub
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • BJCP
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
On the OT, I found that following the #NHC2011 hashtag on twitter was helpful in seeing what was going on.

I did this and it only made me kick myself harder for not going to the conference  >:(

Seriously, it was great information being posted and I WILL use it next year in Seattle!!

You might get more timely info in Seattle if you use the #NHC2012 tag instead...  ;D  See you there!

Online james

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »

You might get more timely info in Seattle if you use the #NHC2012 tag instead...  ;D  See you there!

I typo'd when searching last week and found a couple of posts under #NHC2001 :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 01:08:03 PM »
Without a viable mobile solution, keeping up with the forum is just a non-starter.  If it's not on my phone, I'm not seeing it while at the conference.

Fred has been pushing to get TapTalk installed.  I hope we can implement it soon.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline Paul Gagnon

• 1st Kit
  • Paul Gagnon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:10 PM »
We started doing after Orlando when we found judges bowing out of judging to attend seminars.  We need to have all the judges we can get, so the obvious choice was to start repeating seminars.

I really appreciate that this decision was made. I was disappointed that 2 weren't repeated this year, though - Brewing with Brett & Hop Boil Chemistry. Both were ones that I really wanted to go to, but I made the decision to judge instead. My guess is that the speakers were only available at those times, or logistics prevented them from being repeated. Hopefully next year all Thursday afternoon sessions can be repeated.  8)

We tried to get all of the speakers on Thursday to repeat tracks, and only opened a third track at all on Thursday because we found we would be getting a new larger hall for the night events. Unfortunately, we couldn't get all of the Thursday tracks repeated, but we tried. However, the good news is that I think the non-repeating tracks from Thursday were recorded and should be posted to the conference page I believe after editing. Also, presentations from those talks will probably be posted as well.

- Paul Gagnon
Paul Gagnon
QUAFF

On tap:
Common Cider
Figtastic Brown Ale
Citra IPA

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homebrewing Page
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 04:20:20 AM »
It would be nice if all the talks could be recorded. I know I attended two where the PowerPoint had no verbiage and another where there was no slideshow. On another we had technical difficulties and really didn't even start the slides until halfway through the talk. A recording would at least capture the verbal portion of the presentation.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 04:32:09 AM »
It would be nice if all the talks could be recorded. I know I attended two where the PowerPoint had no verbiage and another where there was no slideshow. On another we had technical difficulties and really didn't even start the slides until halfway through the talk. A recording would at least capture the verbal portion of the presentation.

Great idea Mike.

I know someone that recorded the sessions that he attended. He brought his own recording equipment. I  didn't get a chance to talk to him about it but this would be a great idea. This sounds like something that could be done and posted on the website for historical record. Just another idea.
Ron Price

Offline Paul Gagnon

• 1st Kit
  • Paul Gagnon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 08:46:26 AM »

Great idea Mike.

I know someone that recorded the sessions that he attended. He brought his own recording equipment. I  didn't get a chance to talk to him about it but this would be a great idea. This sounds like something that could be done and posted on the website for historical record. Just another idea.

It was suggested to do this, perhaps having one of the podcasters do it. It didn't happen this time, but maybe the boys in Seattle can get it done.
Paul Gagnon
QUAFF

On tap:
Common Cider
Figtastic Brown Ale
Citra IPA

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »
It's been inconsistent, but in the past some podcasters have recorded the talks. Don't know if there's been a policy change or jst a reduced amount of interest.

I do know that you'd have to employ a full time censor for my talk before you could broadcast it. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison