Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: collateral for home brew filled growlers  (Read 7055 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: collateral for home brew filled growlers
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 10:51:37 pm »
With bottles, I used to say "returned clean" (after proper instruction on cleaning of course) or no more beer for you.....

now, I tell them to bring their own growler over for a fill.....and if they don't have one, I suggest they get one next time we are out at a local establishment....I haven't yet encountered one, but i won't fill, nor clean a dirty growler, either.
seems to work.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 11:10:17 pm »
One more thig I have done......2 litre pop bottles. They work just as well, and who cares if you get it back.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 11:18:42 pm »
One more thig I have done......2 litre pop bottles. They work just as well, and who cares if you get it back.

I was thinking the same thing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 11:41:38 pm »

I've been using 2L soda bottles with Carbonators for over 15 years.  They work very well and have never failed to pass a "cooler check,"

However, they do not get loaned out.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 12:10:53 am »
I won't be loaning out any of my current PET bottles until a new carbonator cap comes out. :( F'ing progress...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 12:35:47 am »
I won't be loaning out any of my current PET bottles until a new carbonator cap comes out. :( F'ing progress...

I saw you mention that in another thread.  I don't know for sure, but I think the new bottles you are talking about are meant to be low-waste non-carbonated water bottles.  I think soda bottles will remain more robust with their 200 psi rating.  Have you seen carbonated beverages in these new PET bottles?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 01:05:45 am »

I've been using 2L soda bottles with Carbonators for over 15 years.  They work very well and have never failed to pass a "cooler check,"

However, they do not get loaned out.

If I don't have a carbonator, can I just squirt some CO2 in there first and then fill with carbonated beer?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 04:41:57 am »

If I don't have a carbonator, can I just squirt some CO2 in there first and then fill with carbonated beer?

sure, or do a little googling and find online instructions for making your own carbonator caps. easy to make, very cheap.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 05:34:48 am »

I saw you mention that in another thread.  I don't know for sure, but I think the new bottles you are talking about are meant to be low-waste non-carbonated water bottles.  I think soda bottles will remain more robust with their 200 psi rating.  Have you seen carbonated beverages in these new PET bottles?

I think Carl's on to something here.  Only some plastic bottles have changed the cap thread size.  The pressurized bottles seem to be the same as the old size that the carbonators work on.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 11:45:03 am »
I'm also not 100% on this because I only drink soda rarely. What I have seen in my area, all the 20oz and 1liter bottles have the new caps. Where it starts to get fuzzy is with the 2liters. The three liters don't have them yet, but they have that wide-mouth cap- which may just be a bigger version of the new cap.

My thinking is that this has been rolled out here before the rest of the Nation. Seems like we are a product test market. And yes, all the major water brands like Dasani and Aquafina appear to have the new cap.

I might be up at the store later today. Will recheck the soda aisle- yes there is an entire aisle devoted to sugar water. :(

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 07:49:02 pm »

I have a carbonator cap and I've never used it.  I just fill straight with my homegrown bottle filler and then cap.  This has always worked for me.  However, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I prefer six-packs of 20 oz. soda bottles to the bigger ones.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline fritzeye

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 01:43:23 pm »

yep yep, I ise a carbonator cap and then replace with a regular cap before I leave. Not I only do I not have to worry about wether I get it back or not, but also do not have to worry about breaking it on the way.
yep yep.
Beer makes you smart, drinking is art!

Offline dnva75

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 12:21:10 pm »
If people want to take my Home Brew to their home I ask them to bring a growler.  If they don't, no beer leaves the premises unless in their bellies.  People I know who really like beer have no issue with this.  The rookies that do don't appreciate it enough for me to worry about it.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 10:36:24 pm »
The neighbor seemed to think that eggs for full growlers may be a viable idea.
If this happens, I shall insist that the bottle be cleaned out and ready for
refilling upon acquisition of a dozen cackle berries...  :P
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.