Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rubber Gasket in Fermenter  (Read 2300 times)

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
Rubber Gasket in Fermenter
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:25:57 pm »
I just had the rubber gasket that holds my airlock in place drop into my fermentation bucket.  It apparently sank to the bottom, and I can't fish it out.  :'(

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Do you think it will impart any "rubbery" or "plastic" flavors to my beer?

My ale has just began primary fermentation with a pretty high krausen....Is there any reason NOT to rack into another fermenter at this point?

And while we are on the subject of Krausen....has anybody ever tried carbonating their beer using the krausen method?  Now that I'm using a bucket (rather than Carboy) it would be easy to skim it right off the top.

Have a Kolsch and a smile!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Rubber Gasket in Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:34:17 pm »
Don't worry about the gasket. just let it ride, I wouldn't rack it to another fermenter, just replace the gasket.

Krousening for bottle carbing as I understand it does not involve krousen from an active fermentation. It's just using some saved wort or wort from another batch that you to prime the bottles or keg. Never tried it myself but I have used malt extract to prime and it takes longer than table sugar. other than that I didn't notice any difference.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:58:53 pm »
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Ha Ha. More times than you want to know;D ;D

I used to fish it out by going elbow deep but after awhile I realize an air lock is not really necssary and just stuffed some paper towel in the hole and let it ride.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:42:21 pm »
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Ha Ha. More times than you want to know;D ;D

I used to fish it out by going elbow deep but after awhile I realize an air lock is not really necssary and just stuffed some paper towel in the hole and let it ride.

Yet another pragmatism award!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:20:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone! I figured it would be cool, but just wanted to be sure.  Luckily, I have quite a few rubber gaskets, so I was able to replace it, and now my airlock is rockin'  ;D
Have a Kolsch and a smile!