Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BeerSmith 2.0 - First Recipe  (Read 3245 times)

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
BeerSmith 2.0 - First Recipe
« on: July 23, 2011, 04:07:59 pm »
I just got the ingredient kit for my next extract brew (Midwest's Honey Bee Ale), and out of curiosity I decided to put it into BeerSmith to see how it matched up to the instruction sheet. After installing the Briess grain add-on so I could put in the LME, I added in all the ingredients I have. (I'm pretty sure I got everything right, but this being my first time really using the program, I'm not entirely sure.)

There are a few discrepancies, though, and I'm wondering whether to believe BeerSmith or Midwest's numbers (or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place). The SG is in range; Midwest says it should be 1.044–1.048 and BeerSmith estimates 1.046. However, the program estimates FG to be 1.002, while the instruction sheet gives a range of 1.010–1.014. Also, according to the kit I should wind up with about 32.6 IBUs, but BeerSmith calculates only 17.4.

Mistakes on my part, or is one of these just plain wrong?

Code: [Select]
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Midwest Supplies Honey Bee Ale (140)
Brewer: Shawn Morford
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.67 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.38 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3 lbs 4.8 oz          LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM)      Extract       2        48.5 %       
3 lbs                 Honey [Boil for30 min](1.0 SRM)          Sugar         4        44.1 %       
8.0 oz                Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)             Grain         1        7.4 %         
1.00 oz               Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           3        16.3 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Vanguard [4.80 %] - Boil 2.0 min         Hop           5        1.2 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast         6        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 6 lbs 12.8 oz
----------------------------

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:10:07 pm by darkmorford »

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
Re: BeerSmith 2.0 - First Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:53:07 pm »
I just got the ingredient kit for my next extract brew (Midwest's Honey Bee Ale), and out of curiosity I decided to put it into BeerSmith to see how it matched up to the instruction sheet. After installing the Briess grain add-on so I could put in the LME, I added in all the ingredients I have. (I'm pretty sure I got everything right, but this being my first time really using the program, I'm not entirely sure.)

There are a few discrepancies, though, and I'm wondering whether to believe BeerSmith or Midwest's numbers (or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place). The SG is in range; Midwest says it should be 1.044–1.048 and BeerSmith estimates 1.046. However, the program estimates FG to be 1.002, while the instruction sheet gives a range of 1.010–1.014. Also, according to the kit I should wind up with about 32.6 IBUs, but BeerSmith calculates only 17.4.

Mistakes on my part, or is one of these just plain wrong?
I'd put my money on the instruction sheet.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:16:42 pm »
try your hand at one of the online calculators such as brewtools, brewtarget, beercalculus, or brewsmarts, and tasty brew.  see if any of them come up with similar numbers to your recipe.  the one that strikes me as odd is the fg of 1.002 from brewsmith. i don't use it but i have used the others and find brewtools to be reasonable.  there is also one at brewer's workshop.
Don AHA member

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »
Several things here,
First the IBU difference, I'm sure this is a different formula being used.

Second the FG.  If you count the FG contribution of the honey the same as the extract, which is wrong, you get a predicted FG of 1.012-1.014 between 5 and 4.6 gallons.  This is inline with your data sheet, but for practical purposes the honey is 100% fermentable meaning that it should contribute almost nothing to the FG.  The LME and carapils alone per BS2 give you an estimated FG between 1.007 and 1.008.   The alcohol produced by the honey will reduce the SG because alcohol is lighter than water, in BS2 lowering the FG estimate to 1.002.  The estimate for this effect is from Palmers book.  This feature I believe may be turned off if you wish. 

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »
I can't seem to find that setting, though it's very possible I'm just not recognizing the terminology.

And I'm not even sure I'm adding the honey correctly in the first place. It's easy enough to find in the "Add Grain" dialog (assuming that's where I'm supposed to do it), but I'm not entirely sure what to do with the "Late Extract Boil Time" and "Add After Boil" controls. The instructions that came with the kit say to add the honey for the last 30 minutes of the boil, so I assume that's what I put in the Boil Time box. I can't quite figure out what to do with the Add After Boil checkbox, though.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »
I don't know much about Beersmith, but I have done several Midwest kits and their data sheets are very accurate.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:10:52 am »
Which version of BeerSmith. In 1.4, there is a final gravity field that you must enter yourself and it defaults to a low value. I'm not sure about 2.0. OR you need to change your attenuation value.  Either way, I'd a) trust the instruction sheet and b) post this in the Beersmith forum and Brad Smith will probably explain what is happening.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958