Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: vegetarian eats  (Read 5766 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: vegetarian eats
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 03:20:15 am »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:28 am »
Ok, any secrets for the Squash blossom tempura?  Spinach, asiago and walnut raviolli in wild mushroom ragu; got a recipe or any tips?  The wife and I will be trying the figs stuffed with marscapone and walnuts drizzled with honey and sprinkled with mint leaves soon; I think I can figure out the recipe for that one.  :)

Nic, can you give some more info on the ajvar.  Sounds great.

Maxieboy, hope you like it.  Sambal Olek is perfection.

Professor, do you have any Hungarian recipes for us?  I have one, but it could use some work.

Euge, that looks amazing.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 11:26:50 am »
Ok, any secrets for the Squash blossom tempura?  Spinach, asiago and walnut raviolli in wild mushroom ragu; got a recipe or any tips?  The wife and I will be trying the figs stuffed with marscapone and walnuts drizzled with honey and sprinkled with mint leaves soon; I think I can figure out the recipe for that one.  :)

Squash blossoms. Use about 20% rice flour in the batter and sparkly water (or beer!). you can also stuff them with yummy things, cheese, cheese and (non-veg option, although I have done it with the field grain italian style) sausage. go wild.

Raviolli, 100 semolia egg pasta rolled to about a 5 on a pasta roller, don't know how thing that is but fairly thin, less than a millimeter. I often do tortolloni instead of raviolli cause they are quicker to fold up. so either roll out one sheet about 18 inches long but about 1 tablespoon every two-three inches (so you get 6-8 ravs per sheet, although the size is really up to you)
filling, I like baby spinach but big spinach works two. saute onions (or shallots) and garlic in olive oil until soft, add spinach (chopped if useing adult leaves) saute until most of the moisture is gone, I press the spinach with the spatula to get as much liquid out and evaporated as possible. Add chopped walnuts and let cool. I like to chop the cooked mixture up a bit as it makes it easier to work with. Add shredded asiago or similar cheese. herbs and spices to taste. I don't usually use more than salt and pepper in this but that is up to you.

ragu, get the best selection of interesting mushrooms you can find. When I did this first I got a chef sampler from fungi perfecti or similar so it was chantrelles, forest namenkos(sp?) king oysters and a few others. but just about anything will work. morells would be yummy. porcini's are perhaps the best mushroom in the world as far as I am concerned. Maitake is also amazing. get a BIG cast iron or similarly heat resistant time of pan blazing hot on the stove (heat it dry until the air shimmers above it, whatever burner you use for your wok is right on for this) when it's hot add clarified butter (I will also sometimes use ghee from the store if I don't feel like clarifying butter) and only enough mushrooms at a time to cover the bottom of the pan in a single layer. You want to brown the mushrooms not stew them. When all the mushrooms are almost done add some shallots, salt and pepper and maybe some fresh taragon. Some white wine (or beer again maybe) and maybe a little olive oil.

If you are doing this for two you can then just toss the paste (cooked in gently boiling water and drained) into the pan and toss to coat and serve with a little extra asiago on top. if you are doing it for a crowd, unless you have an enourmouse pan and forearms like popeye, you will have to do it in batchs, a little ragu a couple of rav toss, plate, repeat.

The rav also go amazing with a brown butter and sage sauce. just add butter to hot pan until it starts to brown, drop in some chopped sage leaves and a few whole ones, add rav and fry a little to crisp up the edges, yum.

on the figs, the only thing that I do that is not immediatly obvious is that I will split a vanilla bean and add the insides to the marscapone. any left over marscapone can also be mixed with cream and sugar and turned into an awesome ice cream.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

jaybeerman

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 12:50:42 pm »
yum

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 12:57:13 pm »
Squash blossoms. Indeed a classic. Will I have to plant some squash just to get the blossoms? LOL Probably...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 03:47:58 pm »
You could always make a nice vegan pahd thai like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 06:39:46 pm »
+1 on the Indian cooking. Plenty of recipes online. Try http://www.vahrehvah.com/ plenty of how to videos too.

http://www.vahrehvah.com/Gun+Powder+-Milaga+podi:4258

Nic says this guy has a funny voice, not his accent his voice. I kinda agree.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 07:54:36 pm »
I've watched this guy before. Actually you turned me on to him some time ago Cap. He does have a funny tone to his voice, almost a female quality. Anyway...I'd love to try making some gun powder spice mix. I just need to get the ingredients from my local Indian store and toast them up. Great stuff.  :)
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 06:37:02 pm »
Nic says this guy has a funny voice, not his accent his voice. I kinda agree.

The guy is endearingly strange!  That really vicious smile of him would be a little frightening if, say, he was extremely pissed off at you.  But I love the videos, its nice to watch some of the processes...and he cooks like a real cook, not measuring every ingredient to specific levels.

Ajvar just requires fire blackened red peppers and eggplant, blended, with salt and garlic and maybe some spices.  I'm not sure of the "correct" ratios, but I like many red peppers to each eggplant, roasted until black, and then peel each, blend the flesh, and cook it down until its nice and thick, maybe with some olive oil added.  I add garlic, salt, black pepper, and dill, and crushed red pepper (last time I roasted jalapenos too, and added, so I left out the crushed red pepper).  Mine doesn't taste like the jarred kind from the E Euro store, but its still good.

jaybeerman

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 11:45:30 am »
Yeah the guy is interesting.  I'm with bluesman I can't wait to try the gun powder, thanks cap.  I'll have to read up on ajvar, sounds great from your description and I think I have the basic idea.  I'm betting the wife will really like it.  Thanks, j

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 12:19:20 pm »
I usually buy this one but if I can make Ajvar from scratch my hard-core vegetarian friends will fall at my feet.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 12:36:21 pm »
This guy has other videos too, all veg stuff.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 01:29:04 pm »
I usually buy this one but if I can make Ajvar from scratch my hard-core vegetarian friends will fall at my feet.

C'est quoi??!?

whatever it is, it looks like it'd be hard to kiss my wife after eating it.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 03:31:46 pm »
This guy has other videos too, all veg stuff.

I just checked out this link and my speakers almost flew out and hit me.  ;D

Good stuff.  :)
Ron Price

jaybeerman

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »
C'est quoi??!?

whatever it is, it looks like it'd be hard to kiss my wife after eating it.

read nic's comment below

Ajvar just requires fire blackened red peppers and eggplant, blended, with salt and garlic and maybe some spices.  I'm not sure of the "correct" ratios, but I like many red peppers to each eggplant, roasted until black, and then peel each, blend the flesh, and cook it down until its nice and thick, maybe with some olive oil added.  I add garlic, salt, black pepper, and dill, and crushed red pepper (last time I roasted jalapenos too, and added, so I left out the crushed red pepper).  Mine doesn't taste like the jarred kind from the E Euro store, but its still good.