Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: vegetarian eats  (Read 5814 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: vegetarian eats
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 06:37:24 pm »
Yikes!  Don't take my description too literally, its what I have made...but I don't have a "proper" balkan recipe, just the basic idea (blackened peppers and eggplant).

One of my favorite quick meals is ajvar with smoked cheese, sliced smoked sausage or other cured meats (you veggies didn't hear that!), cucumber, olives, pickles, etc., served with crackers.  And slivovitz.

Seriously, it starts out with the intention of being a "light" meal but I end up putting away quite a lot of it.

I've also made plenty of vegetarian (of course not vegan) pizzas.  The meat I put on pizzas now is halfway just obligatory...cause culturally, there should be some kind of meat on it....  But between mushrooms, peppers, olives, spices, and pineapple you can have a very nice pizza without contributions from our livestock friends.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 10:49:15 pm »
Yikes!  Don't take my description too literally, its what I have made...but I don't have a "proper" balkan recipe, just the basic idea (blackened peppers and eggplant).

One of my favorite quick meals is ajvar with smoked cheese, sliced smoked sausage or other cured meats (you veggies didn't hear that!), cucumber, olives, pickles, etc., served with crackers.  And slivovitz.

Seriously, it starts out with the intention of being a "light" meal but I end up putting away quite a lot of it.

I've also made plenty of vegetarian (of course not vegan) pizzas.  The meat I put on pizzas now is halfway just obligatory...cause culturally, there should be some kind of meat on it....  But between mushrooms, peppers, olives, spices, and pineapple you can have a very nice pizza without contributions from our livestock friends.

love roasted eggplant, love roasted red peppers, gonna try them together.

Pizza, I tried to do a vegan pizza the other day with this vegan 'cheez' concoction that is actually good in some things... not on pizza.

My pizza will have mozz next time. Although there was a place in Portland Oregon that did a fresh veggie pesto pizza that was vegan. Used to eat that a lot. I think it just skipped the cheese in favour of tons of veggies and pesto.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 11:28:10 pm »
You could always make a nice vegan pahd thai like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg
This guy has other videos too, all veg stuff.

I just checked out this link and my speakers almost flew out and hit me.  ;D

Good stuff.  :)
At least one other person likes it. ;D  I think it's hilarious.  The pahd thai looks good too.  ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 08:05:35 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg
This guy has other videos too, all veg stuff.

I just checked out this link and my speakers almost flew out and hit me.  ;D

Good stuff.  :)
At least one other person likes it. ;D  I think it's hilarious.  The pahd thai looks good too.  ;)
I liked it.  I thought it was pretty funny.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

jaybeerman

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 11:21:41 am »

At least one other person likes it. ;D  I think it's hilarious.  The pahd thai looks good too.  ;)

I didn't find it funny at all.  If you play the video backwards, it says to eat a cheeseburger and kill your parents while eating greasy fries made with lard.  Not funny at all.  :)

<edit>  while I find the video hillarious, my wife thinks it's the greatest video of all time.  the kid not so much, though he did smile
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:32:06 am by jaybeerman »