Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who Dumps Beer?  (Read 6655 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Who Dumps Beer?
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:41 am »
The Kolsch I brewed recently still had an awful acetaldehyde flavor after 5 weeks in the fermenter and 2 in kegerator. Almost dumped it, but in a fit of pique dry hopped the keg with 1 oz of Zeus. Boy was that a mistake. At first. Now after a couple weeks the kolsch has transformed into something wondrous. :o

Glad I didn't dump her, but my Kolsch probably isn't to style anymore... :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 02:40:56 am »
The Kolsch I brewed recently still had an awful acetaldehyde flavor after 5 weeks in the fermenter and 2 in kegerator. Almost dumped it, but in a fit of pique dry hopped the keg with 1 oz of Zeus. Boy was that a mistake. At first. Now after a couple weeks the kolsch has transformed into something wondrous. :o

Glad I didn't dump her, but my Kolsch probably isn't to style anymore... :-\

Had the same thing happen to me, Kolschs seem to be hard to get right. Taste was just, eh. Weird beer. Anyway I attached that fella to my hoprocket with 3.5 ounces of Citra. Definitely, definitely not to style now. Hoprocket = instant IPA-afier.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 02:40:55 pm »
I know I touch on this in my book, probably in the discussion on blending.  Some beers can be saved, some beers are past hope.  Some just need to be approached in a new light.  Depends on how you want to use them.

Over the years, I've had two beers that were stored for more than 5 years eventually develop a aceto infection, probably as a result of a lazy transfer or filtration.  One was a doppelbock, and the other was a biere de garde.  That doppelbock took a first round medal as a Flanders brown last year in the NHC.  The BDG could probably as well if I entered it this year.

I remember dumping maybe two early batches that were horribly oxidized (wet cardboard) and one that was increibly phenolic (cold steeped spices in the secondary).  I don't use those techniques any more  ;)
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong