Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's cookin' for the Holidays folks?  (Read 14099 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's cookin' for the Holidays folks?
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 07:00:48 pm »
Serbs make better slivo.  :P
"Zuta Osa" if you can get it is very smooth
"Imperia" can only be beat by homemade.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2009, 05:39:06 am »
What, no seafood? I was thinking you lived on a boat or something.  ;)

We eat seafood 2 or 3 times a week normally.  I think I've had it everyday since Christmas eve. :P  New Years Day is all about fresh pork and black-eyed peas.  Don't forget to burn your bayberry candle down on New Years Eve. ;D

What  ???

No Sauerkraut with your fresh pork... :o  That's Blasphemy!  ;D

It's a southern tradition, at least in our family. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2009, 11:37:35 am »
Nic, you should see  how socially acceptable drinking slivovitsa over there is. Before breakfast on a Sunday a few shots of slivovitsa. Before work during the week a few shots of Slivovitsa. At lunch a shot or two of Slivovitsa. At least that is how it was the times I was there. Its been a while maybe it has changed.

All over I saw these little narrow bars that didnt really have anywhere to sit. They just had a tap and shots, of just one beer and slivovitsa. The idea I think is to just go in for a quick shot and beer. A lot of people hit them in the morning on the way to work, just like coffee at dunkin doughnuts here.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 04:59:57 pm »
All over I saw these little narrow bars that didn't really have anywhere to sit.

You really shouldn't sit when drinking slivo; how the heck would you know when you've had enough?  :D

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2009, 11:13:31 pm »
Actually I was thinking those places should have some where to lay down. Like an opium den does. Then you only have to lift your head every now and again to take a sip.

Happy 2010 everyone. Hope this year is better than the last. Maybe I should have eaten black eye peas or lentils last year.

Found an 8 point rib roast of pork for $2, 50 per pound. Came to like $14 and served six guests nicely. 

It was great too. Just the right amount of fat.

Roast pork with sauerkraut and perogies. 

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2010, 10:07:20 am »

I guess I had saurkraut anyway, since everyone insists it's good luck. We used it to give the sour taste because we didn't have pickled cabbage to make the rolls. As I stated earlier, walnuts, leek, onion, and rice make up the filling and then some spices.

It's baked in the stove, covered at first to keep it moist, then the last half hour uncovered to brown the kraut a bit. It's a cell phone pic - could have been better but good enough for you to get the idea.

Happy New Year to all!
-OCD
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:09:29 am by beerocd »

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2010, 10:46:00 am »
Happy New Year!

I found a great pork loin roast at the grocery store.  It looked and felt so tender raw that I'm salivating over what it'll taste like after it cooks for a few hours.  It's in there with the kraut, a beer, some salt and pepper, and caraway seeds right now.  Smells great.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2010, 11:14:00 am »
Good eats Folks!

Love the rib roast Capp.

I'll be roasting a Boston Butt today...and the sauerkraut will added to the roast in the Dutch Oven for the last hour of roasting.

I'll try to post some pics later.

Happy New Year to you and yours. 8)
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »
Pork schnitzel and fries tonight (to keep with the east european theme, let's call it bečki šnicl) with a mushroom sauce and some slivovica.

I have a whole pork loin curing in the fridge, I'll be smoking that to be Canadian bacon in a few days, which will then see the blade of my new electric slicer which should be here on Monday...

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2010, 04:41:38 pm »
Pork schnitzel and fries tonight (to keep with the east european theme, let's call it bečki šnicl) with a mushroom sauce and some slivovica.

I have a whole pork loin curing in the fridge, I'll be smoking that to be Canadian bacon in a few days, which will then see the blade of my new electric slicer which should be here on Monday...

Slicer...nice. Just don't have the cabinet or counter realestate to give up. I'd be slicing up rib-eyes for some killer steak sammiches!

Offline brewingbunny

• 1st Kit
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:38 pm »
Well they're over now but we had quite the food and drink over the holidays.  This was the first, and probably last, Christmas my husband and I have spent just the two of us so we decided to go all out and really enjoy ourselves.  First course was oysters Rockefeller paired with Samuel Smith's Stout and Imperial Stout.  Then we made lobster tails, shrimp and crab stuffing, Brussels sprouts with bacon and walnuts, and baked yams paired with Stone IPA and Ruination IPA.  For dessert I did the flourless chocolate cake with molten ganache from the Best of American Beer and Food made with Ayinger Ur-Weisse and paired with the same.
Why can't it be all brewing, all the time?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2010, 06:06:59 pm »
Wow, I want to come to your house on Xmas. Im sorry to all the Slovakian but man, the Slovakian Christmas dinner sucks! I dont care if I ever have it again.

Ever been to Slovakia?

It seems when you are there all of the dogs are limping. Know why?  Cause when people get home form work they take one look and their dinner and then they kick the dog.

You guys know Im only joking around.........right?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:09:21 am by capozzoli »