Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nobody home......  (Read 3893 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Nobody home......
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 06:50:57 pm »
good news and let us know how it turns out.
Dan Chisholm

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 08:13:38 am »
Still bubbling..... though I wouldn't call it vigorous. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 12:14:59 pm »
Hopefully you tricked them out when you started lowering the temp as I usually let them party until there hearts content before I turn on A/C, otherwise they want to chill out and relax.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 08:11:13 pm »
Well, the irony is that I am in the middle of reading "Yeast'. From what it sounds like, there may be some side effects of the stress I put on the little f@ckers. Another 10 days or so and it will be tasting time....

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 12:44:00 pm »
Well, it's been about a week, and I got the hydrometer and olfactory testing gear out.

The 1056 fared worse than I thought...... One bucket is at 1040 (1052 og) the other at 1020. I "roused" both and put the lids back on, and cranked the fermenter up to 72. At this point I am resigned that this batch is going to be a loss.....

The 3787, surprisingly, fared better. One bucket made it to 1010. Not sure about the taste, but that has more to do with my hop bill than anything else..... The other bucket is at 1014, roused and the temp up to 72ยบ as well.

I'll give both a little bit more time. OK, so it was the first time brewing in heat.... (the weather, not me). Lesson learned. A serious dent in my "anything I touch becomes good beer" aura though..... ::) Life goes on.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »
Can't bat a thousand forever.  ;D  We've all made our contributions to the beer gods, it was your turn! Take care of your yeast, they'll take care of you.   ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 07:21:43 pm »
I typically decant the spent wort from my starter and then refill with fresh, cooled wort from my brew day to get em going!! A few weeks ago,I forgot to cool and  poured hot wort on top of my starter yeast. I freaked out a little there for a minute!! The wort had to be around 130*- 140*. I immediately put the starter in the freezer to bring it down but the shock from the heat and then the temp swing did a number. The yeast got to work later that night but it was moving slow.  Surprisingly, the beer turned out good.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 10:34:55 am »
Oscar, don't give up now!  Why not repitch?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 08:12:27 pm »
Oscar, don't give up now!  Why not repitch?

May have to. There has been some more bubbling at the higher temps. Will check all four bucket OG tomorrow, and taste. Will keg whatever has finished, and MAY repitch the laggards. Will report.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 10:41:05 am »
Well......whaddayaknow........ After being in denial for the last two weeks and not even LOOKING in the fermenteezers I yesterday finally got myself together. Three weeks total in the buckets, and at this point it was either compost pile or keg. I needed the buckets and the fermenteezers back.

Lo and behold....... ALL fully attenuated and CLEAR. Taste GOOD, if not EXCELLENT. The 3787 made it to 1006-1008, the 1056 to it's usual 1010.

Four happy kegs in the cellar on a CO2 hose.

Today in the brew house.....10G German Ale, 10G IPA. 80 outside, a lot more in here, and rising, burners going and all all that..... >:(

THE YEAST IS NOT IN THE BREW HOUSE... ::) ::) ::)...PACKS SMACKED AND IN THE FERMENTEEZERS at 69-70. Will cool the buckets best I can then put them in the fermenteezers......when all is in equilibrium I will pitch.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:53:19 am by oscarvan »

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 11:47:10 am »
Last weekend I accidentally partially froze my washed yeast.  Proceeded as normal and they took off like normal.  Sometimes they make beer in spite of us. ;D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 10:11:20 pm »
Last weekend I accidentally partially froze my washed yeast.  Proceeded as normal and they took off like normal.  Sometimes they make beer in spite of us. ;D
Partially frozen is very safe, it's not the temp that kills them it is physical damage.

Glad it worked out oscar. :)
Tom Schmidlin