General Category > Other Fermentables

Rescue My Cider

(1/3) > >>

pweis909:
3 weeks ago, I made three gallons of cider using fresh pressed apple juice, and fermented with Lalvin EC1118.  The juice gravity was about 1.042.  It's fermented to 1.000.  Nothing to the taste but tartness, and pretty watery.  It is still sitting on the yeast.  I have another (unfermented) gallon of fresh juice and am thinking of using it in a rescue operation.  

One possibility is adding the juice and stablizing.  I'm not sure 1 gallon of juice will be sufficient to overcome the tartness and this will dilute the alcohol some.

A second possibility is to make a small amount of sweet mead and blend to make a ceyser, possibly adding the juice too.

How have others have made unapproachably tart and dry ciders more approachable?

deepsouth:
you can backsweet them, although i'm not exactly sure how to do that as i prefer mine tart and dry.  i also understand that if you let it age a bit (six months or longer), the apple starts to come back into the cider.  me, i can't let a batch sit undrank that long, yet....

denny:
3 weeks is an awfully short time for a cider IMO.  I usually give mine at least a few months in primary and several more in secondary, which really helps to mellow them.

Brew.Drink.Repeat.:

--- Quote from: denny on November 05, 2009, 11:41:43 AM ---3 weeks is an awfully short time for a cider IMO.  I usually give mine at least a few months in primary and several more in secondary, which really helps to mellow them.

--- End quote ---

I'm glad you mentioned this, since I'm making my first cider right now. I was going to post to ask how long is a good length of time for primary... so a few months on the yeast is not a bad idea? RIght now it's been there for a little over three weeks, and the yeast (Montrachet) is still throwing off some serious sulphur aromatics. I was going to rack it next weekend, but I guess I should let it sit for a bit?

deepsouth:

--- Quote from: Brew.Drink.Repeat. on November 05, 2009, 07:38:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on November 05, 2009, 11:41:43 AM ---3 weeks is an awfully short time for a cider IMO.  I usually give mine at least a few months in primary and several more in secondary, which really helps to mellow them.

--- End quote ---

I'm glad you mentioned this, since I'm making my first cider right now. I was going to post to ask how long is a good length of time for primary... so a few months on the yeast is not a bad idea? RIght now it's been there for a little over three weeks, and the yeast (Montrachet) is still throwing off some serious sulphur aromatics. I was going to rack it next weekend, but I guess I should let it sit for a bit?

--- End quote ---

the longer you can stand to let it sit, the better it will be in my experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version