General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Dry hopping and contamination

(1/3) > >>

etbrew:
I dry hopped for the first time about a month ago with excellent results in the flavor and aroma area but I ended up clogging my bottle filler with hops. 
I've heard of putting the hops in a grain bag or putting some stockings on the end of the siphon tube when transferring to the bottling bucket but I'm worried about contamination.  How do I ensure cleanliness of the grain bag or the stocking?  I thought of getting a giant stainless steel tea ball but then realized it wouldn't fit in the carboy :).

-Eric

ndcube:
I just dunk them in my bucket of star san.

FWIW. I use a plastic screen on the end of my racking cane.  I've also heard to use a piece of a SS or copper scrubie tied to the end.  When my plastic screen finally breaks I'm going to try that.

dhacker:
The chances for contamination are pretty slim after the beer has fermented. Not that it's totally impossible, but much less than before it's fermented. I use the white, knee-high nylon hose and throw 'em in a small sauce pan and heat them up for a few minutes while I'm getting the hops ready.   

1vertical:
I see a good use for some cheep Vodka here.

denny:

--- Quote from: 1vertical on December 28, 2009, 08:27:54 AM ---I see a good use for some cheep Vodka here.

--- End quote ---

Why bother wasting vodka, especially since I don't know how effective it would be.  I put my hop bags in a cup or 2 of water in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and they're good to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version