Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finally got a chest freezer  (Read 4405 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Finally got a chest freezer
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 12:58:47 pm »
In this season at it's coldest my tap is 86F. That's the summer for ya! But I cooled 6 gallons last evening to 62 in 35 minutes total with an ice-water recirc after the wort hit 88. It went into the fermenteezer. :D A few more minutes with the ice-recirc and the wort would have been at lager pitching temps.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:00:35 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 01:02:46 pm »
Ah, that's cool.  Perhaps I should only brew lagers in the winter and spring months when the water coming out of the tap is sure to be colder.  Otherwise, I can't do that in the summer as I'm pretty sure the water doesn't get that cold.
I didn't actually get my wort down to 50...I just got down to about 68, then let the freezer take care of the rest.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 03:37:07 pm »
I added some parts:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:48:58 pm by Kit B »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 06:31:07 pm »
Nice. That makes me thirsty.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 09:32:58 am »
A solid pickup!  Adding a freezer and a controller was probably the best thing I could have done for my beer!  I can't believe I went without it.  Now I just need to get another one to set up for kegs like you did!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 10:47:14 am »
Nice. I just added a second chest for fermentation. I have one for lagering but needed a dedicated chest for fermentation to facilitate my process. Welcome to the obsession.  :)
Ron Price

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 10:53:22 am »
Just got a 15 CF freezer to ferment with last Saturday.  Last night my temp controller arrived and it turned out to be the model that doesn't come pre-wired :( . I can't wait to try my hand at some lagers.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified