Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy Online Extra "Oxidation: Good Beer Gone Bad"  (Read 2767 times)

Offline KathrynPorterDrapeau

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
Zymurgy Online Extra "Oxidation: Good Beer Gone Bad"
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:19:48 pm »
Check out the most recent Zymurgy Online Extra - Oxidation: Good Beer Gone Bad to learn what you need to know about tasting and, more importantly, preventing oxidation in your homebrew. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/zymurgy/online-extras/oxidation-good-beer-gone-bad

Cheers!
Kathryn Porter Drapeau

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
Re: Zymurgy Online Extra "Oxidation: Good Beer Gone Bad"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:20:58 pm »
Great info! Here's a question though. I just had a DFH Worldwide Stout from '07 at their brewpub and it had a tawny port quality to it, does that mean it was close to it's end? Or being such a big beer (18% abv) would it still have plenty of life left in it?
AHA member since '10

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 06:24:18 pm »
AFAIAC, big beers like that benefit from oxidation.  It mellows and melds the flavors while adding other inter sting notes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:25:40 pm »
Thanks for the quick info Denny. It would be a shame if the glorious beer came to untimely end, lol
AHA member since '10

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:47:30 pm »
nice article..I recently had a keg of IPA go bad (oxidize) after a week. I think I forgot to purge the keg before I transferred the beer into it.  The beer's flavor changed completely and became basically undrinkable >:(
Dan Chisholm

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:53:58 pm »
'07 WWS better not be getting to it's end . . . I've got cases of that going back to 2004!  Every year my dad goes and gets me a case when it goes on sale, then keeps it in his basement.  Then every few years he drives from NJ to Seattle and brings it out to me.  It's a great birthday present. :)

We did a tasting of '04-'07 last summer, they were still great.  People had their preferences, but none of them were bad.

nice article..I recently had a keg of IPA go bad (oxidize) after a week. I think I forgot to purge the keg before I transferred the beer into it.  The beer's flavor changed completely and became basically undrinkable >:(
Undrinkable?  Are you sure it was oxidized?  Even without purging a keg it shouldn't be that bed.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:16:38 am »
I also doubt that oxidation happens so fast to make an IPA undrinkable in a week.  Transferring beer to a keg that hasn't been purged seems unlikely to cause immediate staling.  I quietly siphon beer into the bottom of unpurged kegs all the time. 
Could it have been something else that caused the off-flavor?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:30:31 am »
The beer had a harse, bitter taste and almost cardbord.  I know IPA's are supposed to be bitter, but this was different.  I also racked this beer to free up a fermenter and dry hop and I think this might have contributed to the oxidation.  The beer tasted great for the first week and definitely changed.  I am probably my own worst critic because my friend thought it was OK and finished off the keg after a couple weeks.  So, the beer was undrinkable for me when I had others that were much better around to choose from.  At least I don't forget to purge the keg anymore :)
Dan Chisholm