Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting Cold Feet on A Fest Recipe...  (Read 4232 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Getting Cold Feet on A Fest Recipe...
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:01:33 am »
About to brew my Oktoberfest in a few weeks and man, I am starting to get cold feet on the recipe.

Was looking to try what a member on another forum (bryanh), whom I highly respect, calls his favorite recipe for oktoberfest/maerzen style after trying many combinations.  The rundown is this:

12gal/1.054/20ibu

17.5lbs Weyermann Munich II 12L
7.5lbs Best Pils 1.8L
20ibus of Tradition at 60min

Mash for 90 min at 151-2.

Yes, I am doing single infusion - its too damned hot right now to be decocting.

I'm having second thoughts  :-[

Guess at worst it'll be a dunkel-lite  ;D :D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Getting Cold Feet on A Fest Recipe...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:06:39 am »
Second thoughts in regard to what, Paul?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:08:06 am »

the huge allocation to Weyermann Munich II
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:26:24 am »

In terms of conversion or flavor?  If you're worried about conversion, I'd just do a 90 min. mash.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:32:16 am »

In terms of conversion or flavor?  If you're worried about conversion, I'd just do a 90 min. mash.

more on flavor - I've made a bock with this much M-II before and incorporated a 90min mash with no issues.

I guess there is only one way to find out about flavor...

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 11:16:01 am »
It doesn't seem out of line to me for a true O-fest (as opposed to a 'tent beer').  Weyermann Munich II is usually closer to 9L than 12L.  I typ use Global dark Munich which is ~12L but only because Midwest doesn't carry Weyermann Type II.  I use mostly Weyermann Type I plus some Global dark Munich in my Maerzen.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:16:34 am »
I'm curious.  What specifically about "flavor" are you concerned about?

I agree it is too hot to decoct outdoors here in Florida this time of year.  Plus I'm too lazy to do it (for questionable benefit).
I usually "pseudo-decoct" by add a small percentage of "aromatic" or "melanoiden" malt along with any other specialty base malts (pale, victory, biscuit, vienna) I have on hand to give it a little more malt complexity w/o pushing it out of style.

Offline blatz

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:47:46 am »
i usually pseudo decoct as well, although lately I've been getting away from it and have been just as pleased with the results.  I question decoction benefits as well, but haven't decided for good yet.

The flavor issue I am concerned about is that in the bock that I used 50% WMII in has a dark fruit thing going on from the malt - its not a yeast issue - its something I call 'munich-fruity'  - I get it very faintly from Ayinger Dunkel - its a good thing, but I don't want it to be overbearing in an oktoberfest. 

My fest last year was 65% Vienna, 15% Pils, 15% Munich I and 10% munich II (with a pinch of melanoidin) and it was kinda 'meh' - not rich and malty, sort of dry and a bit too hoppy.  It was consumed, but not with the same vigor that makes you shocked when the keg runs dry. Part of the blame goes to the Vienna maltster I think - NCM was out of Best, so the sent me Baird's Vienna instead - I wound up selling the 1.5 sacks I had leftover.

So this year, I am going toward the other side of the fence to see what happens.  I can't imagine it will be undrinkable.

Spanishcastleale - you're right - I guess I had a brain fart when I typed that - I know its more like 9L - duh!  :-[

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 03:58:56 pm »
Paul, let me share my ignorance, if you don't mind.
The Munich I have access to, at my LHBS, is American I think, and I don't know who makes it, but I believe it's about 10L.
Anyway, I'm leary of too much Munich.  But, you're doing a lager, which is all they do in Munich, right?  My beef with Munich is in ales, as it gets too "doughy" or something.  I much prefer Vienna.  The Vienna I have access to is light, so I assume it's about 3.5L, but I love how it increases mouthfeel and bread tones, but in a more refined way.  The jury is still out in my mind regarding Munich in lagers, but it will be a long time before I attempt another 50% or greater Munich anything.
Kirk Howell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:14:34 pm »
Paul, that looks a little like a bock recipe.

Your last fest beer is more to style, if you are into the whole style thing.

Can't put my hands on Jamil's book right now.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 04:38:59 pm »
Paul, let me share my ignorance, if you don't mind.
The Munich I have access to, at my LHBS, is American I think, and I don't know who makes it, but I believe it's about 10L.
Anyway, I'm leary of too much Munich.  But, you're doing a lager, which is all they do in Munich, right?  My beef with Munich is in ales, as it gets too "doughy" or something.  I much prefer Vienna.  The Vienna I have access to is light, so I assume it's about 3.5L, but I love how it increases mouthfeel and bread tones, but in a more refined way.  The jury is still out in my mind regarding Munich in lagers, but it will be a long time before I attempt another 50% or greater Munich anything.

I make a lot of all Munich pale ales and IPAs.  The key is to get enough hops in there to balance the Munich.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:53:38 pm »
The key is to get enough hops in there to balance the Munich.

This makes sense to me.  20 IBUs seems a little low for an O-fest with a large percentage of Munich. I'd probably bump your target IBUs to around 24 or so.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 04:56:25 pm »

This makes sense to me.  20 IBUs seems a little low for an O-fest with a large percentage of Munich. I'd probably bump your target IBUs to around 24 or so.

I was talking more about IPAs and APAs made with Munich, but you've got a good point.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:15:26 pm »

Seems I've heard of a lot of American Munich being made using 6-row instead of 2-row (or maybe I'm completely imagining things).  Wouldn't that have some of that effect also?
Joe

Offline blatz

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:43:12 pm »

This makes sense to me.  20 IBUs seems a little low for an O-fest with a large percentage of Munich. I'd probably bump your target IBUs to around 24 or so.

funny - I'd written the recipe out this morning off memory, but in checking Beersmith, I see the actual IBUs are...24  :o

as for the Munich re: Kirk 's comments- as was said - maltster and origin is everything -  I would be skeptical of using some domestic Munich malts, but the beers I've  made with Best, Weyermann, Dingeman's are out of this world.  In fact, the Bock I'm drinking now as described above is excellent - and I've made some wonderful dunkels with just straight munich.

Munich in ales can be a little tricky - a little can go a long way, though I have made an all munich IPA before - and like Denny said, crammed a LOT of hops into it - it was nice.

Paul, that looks a little like a bock recipe.

It does, doesn't it?  SRMs are 11ish - so color wise not really, but it just sort of says "half-bock" looking at it, no?