Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye IPA - Why the Wheat?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Rye IPA - Why the Wheat?
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:15:54 pm »
Denny's recipe calls for about 3% wheat.
I brewed my first batch early May, about 4% wheat, following Denny's lead.
Question in my mind is what is the purpose of the wheat?  Head retention?  Mouthfeel? Wouldn't the rye be a close enough cousin to help in that area?
I'll be brewing another one soon, so I'd like to know more about what wheat, in small percentages, contributes to malt builds.

My first batch, 10 gal,  was a smash around here and is almost gone.  All the women in my life, ah yes, I do have a few, six daughters, some with families of their own, most of whom don't like regular IPA's, love it.  The rye seems to take the edge off the hops, pushes the malt a little more forward, and whatever, some of you may be able to express the difference way better than I.  Anyway, cheeers, and Denny, you may be too busy, but I know there is a lot of expertise and experience out there to help me out.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:38:54 pm by Kirk »
Kirk Howell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Rye IPA - Why the Wheat?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:42:52 pm »
When I made that recipe, I was under what I've since discovered was the mistaken impression that the wheat will aid head formation and retention.  I've since learned that you can get great foam without it.  If I was formulating that recipe today, I wouldn't use it.  But at this point it becomes a "why mess with success" kinda thing.  Charlie Papazian has said much the same thing about the large amounts of gypsum in his Toad Spit Stout recipe.  He now knows it isn't really needed, but tens of thousands of people (including me!) have brewed and loved that recipe.  Why change it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:17:10 am »
I don't think it's a "mistaken impression" that wheat malt will aid in head retention. I agree that you don't need wheat to have great foaming qualities, but wheat can and does aid in foam stability IME.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:53:25 am »
I don't think it's a "mistaken impression" that wheat malt will aid in head retention. I agree that you don't need wheat to have great foaming qualities, but wheat can and does aid in foam stability IME.

In theory, I agree that the additional proteins from wheat _can_ aid foam formation.  In reality, like you say Keith, you can get great foam without it.  If you have fermentation issues with your beer, more proteins won't help you.  and then of course there's the example of Duvel, which has some of the best foam around,and is made from only pils malt and sugar.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:55:21 am »
and tetra hop extract <whistle/>
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:58:17 am »
and tetra hop extract <whistle/>

Ooohh, really?  Didn't know that, but I guess I'm not surprised.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 10:23:29 am »
Well, let's put it this way - I can't prove anything, but that's been the heavy wink and a nod sort of rumor flying around whenever people talk about tetra and it's amazing foam giving abilities.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison