Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation/ Keg Storage Freezer recommendations?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Fermentation/ Keg Storage Freezer recommendations?
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:01:37 am »
With summer temps finally coming on and the idea of not brewing for a couple being unacceptable, I've decided to start looking for a freezer to convert for fermentation and keg storage. I realize that fermentation temperature ranges are not ideal for keg storage, but it will be better for the beer than a hot garage and to convince the Brewmistress that what we need are three freezers for fermentation, storage and service I will need to approach this incrementally and diplomatically. 
I need enough room to ferment two buckets OR 6.5 gallon carboys at the same time and have room for a few full Cornies as well.  Anybody out there do this in an upright freezer or do I need to look for a 15 cubic foot chest freezer.  Any examples of what folks are doing out there would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Fermentation/ Keg Storage Freezer recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:06:33 am »
There are post on the internet of someone ( in Oregon I think ) that took a 15 cu ft chest freezer and made a fermentation/kegerator out of it with foam insulation.  I'll see if I can find the link and update my post.

Edit:  Found it  http://www.oregonbrewcrew.com/freezer/freezer.html

I guess they used a 10.5 cu ft, but I think 15 would be better.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:10:21 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------