Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Action Alerts and other Government Affairs info  (Read 104038 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: AHA Action Alerts and other Government Affairs info
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2013, 07:18:48 am »
Woohoo!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2013, 10:06:12 am »
Holding my breath....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:06 am »
Well done...fingers crossed.
Ron Price

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2013, 10:26:53 am »
Kansas residents, contact your state House representative in support of HB 2223 to allow homebrew to be served outside the home for club meetings & competitions. See the action alert: http://bit.ly/13fOnte

They added a supplemental note to this bill making it still illegal to share with my friends in my home.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2013, 12:10:11 pm »
Kansas residents, contact your state House representative in support of HB 2223 to allow homebrew to be served outside the home for club meetings & competitions. See the action alert: http://bit.ly/13fOnte

They added a supplemental note to this bill making it still illegal to share with my friends in my home.

I think you may be misinterpreting the bill.  The substitute (http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/hb2223_01_0000.pdf) allows for serving to "guests" which is defined as people invited by the host as opposed to the general public.  If you invite a friend into your home, you can serve them your homebrew under this bill.  What you could not do would be to serve homebrew at an event open to the public (such as a beer festival).
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2013, 01:54:33 pm »
I am a land development guy that specializes in zoning and land entitlements, the biggest thing about operating out of your home (or garage) is to understand what is allowed in the zone district (zoning) for  your property.  Also understand the details in your local municipality about the rules and criteria of permissible home occupations.

Lastly is understanding building codes.  Your garage may technically not be suited for a M (mercantile) occupancy associated with a storefront with customers, but may be suitable for warehouse (ie internet, phone, or delivery sales).  Understanding and defining your use within the confines of the applicable code is the key.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2013, 02:04:02 pm »

That isn't the supplemental note. The supplemental note removes the wording allowing me to serve house guests. If I was on my computer I would give you the link.

I think you may be misinterpreting the bill.  The substitute (http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/hb2223_01_0000.pdf) allows for serving to "guests" which is defined as people invited by the host as opposed to the general public.  If you invite a friend into your home, you can serve them your homebrew under this bill.  What you could not do would be to serve homebrew at an event open to the public (such as a beer festival).
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/hb2223/
Read the supplemental note SN to the sustitute bill. Then let me know if I am misinterpreting.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2013, 04:25:43 pm »
Hopefully this will work.
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/supp_note_hb2223_01_0000.pdf

That's just the notes describing what happened during the committee hearing, that is not the actual bill.  The previous link I posted was the actual substitute bill. 

The original bill is here: http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/hb2223_00_0000.pdf.  They are substantially different (as I recall, the original bill was based on the Wisconsin bill that passed last year). 

In reading these bills, the text in italics is what is being added to the existing code and text that is in strikethrough is what is being deleted from the existing code.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:34 pm »
Thankyou for the clarification.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2013, 09:18:07 am »
Illinois residents contact your legislators in support of HB630 to allow you to legally share your homebrew and transport your brews for competitions, club meetings, festivals, etc. The bill could go to a vote before the House as soon as today!

See the action alert at bit.ly/15iVph0

This bill is the result of the dedicated work of the homebrew club and shop representatives on the Illinois Homebrewers Alliance in negotiation with the Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois (ABDI). ABDI has the power to make or break this bill, so it is great that the IHA and ABDI have come up with a mutually agreed upon solution.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2013, 10:17:50 am »
Illinois residents contact your legislators in support of HB630 to allow you to legally share your homebrew and transport your brews for competitions, club meetings, festivals, etc. The bill could go to a vote before the House as soon as today!

HB630 passed the House unanimously this morning! Now on to the Senate.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2013, 11:04:30 am »
Cool!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2013, 12:36:48 pm »
Alabama residents: Time is running out to legalize homebrewing this year. Your immediate action is needed now! See the Action Alert at ow.ly/kxlWW
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado