Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Action Alerts and other Government Affairs info  (Read 104028 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: AHA Action Alerts and other Government Affairs info
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2014, 03:09:49 pm »
Kansas homebrewers, support your brewing rights!  Substitute for HB 2223 passed the Kansas House today and now moves on to the Senate.  Please contact the members of the Senate Federal and State Affairs committee as well as the state Senator for your district and ask them to support Substitute for HB 2223.

See the action alert at: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/recent-alerts/calling-all-kansas-homebrewers/.

Woot!! 111 yea to 7 nay. I'm in full harassment mode for the Senate.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2014, 08:08:08 am »
Why does Florida have such strange laws?  They already allow 32 oz bombers and 1 gal growlers, but nothing in between?  This link explains the challenges.
Trey W.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2014, 08:14:27 am »
Nice that they are including off-premise sales. Here in texas growler fills at breweries can be given away, but not sold. But then again, we have growler bars popping up like fro-yo shops five years ago and cupcake shops three years ago.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2014, 10:10:54 am »
We just posted an Action Alert regarding a Florida bill that if passed would be very bad for Florida's craft breweries: http://www.craftbeer.com/action-alerts/attention-florida-beer-activists-support-your-states-small-brewers.  If you live in Florida, please contact your state Senator.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2014, 10:28:20 am »
We just posted an Action Alert regarding a Florida bill that if passed would be very bad for Florida's craft breweries: http://www.craftbeer.com/action-alerts/attention-florida-beer-activists-support-your-states-small-brewers.  If you live in Florida, please contact your state Senator.

“anything not specifically authorized . . . is prohibited unless otherwise authorized under the Beverage Law.”

I am Michael's complete lack of surprise.  *sigh*
This entire bill is full of terrible ideas.  Good Luck, Florida...

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2014, 07:14:05 am »
KS bill signed April 17th and published and official April 24th.  For the last 4 days we've finally been able to legally remove beer/wine/cider from the home and give it to others beyond immediate family.  We can legally hold a competition now too.

I'd like to thank the AHA for their help, the Kansas Homebrewers Alliance, people all over the state who talked to their representatives to educate them, and with a special shout-out to Steve Cook, who spearheaded this effort.

cheers--
--Michael
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:16:27 am by udubdawg »

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2014, 04:24:44 pm »
KS bill signed April 17th and published and official April 24th.  For the last 4 days we've finally been able to legally remove beer/wine/cider from the home and give it to others beyond immediate family.  We can legally hold a competition now too.

I'd like to thank the AHA for their help, the Kansas Homebrewers Alliance, people all over the state who talked to their representatives to educate them, and with a special shout-out to Steve Cook, who spearheaded this effort.

cheers--
--Michael

Congrats to all involved in this effort!  Thanks to all of the Kansas homebrewers that contacted legislators.  I know there will be a ceremonial signing of this bill with the Governor later this week.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »

cheers--
--Michael

So Michael, when's the first competition?

Mac

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2014, 10:54:58 am »
We just sent out an action alert to our California members about an up-coming Senate hearing for California AB 2609, which would allow for homebrewer organizations to host homebrew events, in particular events like the Southern California Homebrewers Festival and the AHA National Homebrewers Conference.  The bill recently was passed unanimously by the Assembly and is now scheduled for a hearing before the Senate Governmental Organizations Committee.  We ask California homebrewers to write to the committee chair in support of the bill.

You can see the alert at: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/recent-alerts/legalize-ca-homebrew-events/.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2014, 11:25:28 am »
My senator & committee chair - check!

Thanks for the update!
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2014, 07:35:11 pm »
We just sent out an action alert to our California members about an up-coming Senate hearing for California AB 2609, which would allow for homebrewer organizations to host homebrew events, in particular events like the Southern California Homebrewers Festival and the AHA National Homebrewers Conference.  The bill recently was passed unanimously by the Assembly and is now scheduled for a hearing before the Senate Governmental Organizations Committee.  We ask California homebrewers to write to the committee chair in support of the bill.

You can see the alert at: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/recent-alerts/legalize-ca-homebrew-events/.
Gary....I am glad that so far AB 2609 been passing easily. However I am confused by a recent amendment (7/2) to AB 2609.   It reads.....Beer or wine produced pursuant to this section may only be provided or served to the public pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (3) within a clearly identified area, that includes, but is not limited to, a physical barrier with a monitored point of entry. Beer or wine produced by a beer manufacturer or winegrower as defined in Sections 23012 and 23013, respectively, and licensed by the department, shall not be provided or served to the public within this area.
It seems to me that homebrewed beer/wine has to be served in a seperate area than commercial beer/wine and you have to have a "hall monitor" watching people go in and out?   Is that true?
The problem I have with it is I am currently donating homebrew to various charities/non profit events.  These events also feature commercial beer/wine to some degree.  It is highly doubtful that anyone is going to set up a special area complete with a physical barrier and monitored point of entry just because there is homemade beer/wine.  So any idea why this ridiculous amendment was put into AB 2609?

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2014, 09:43:11 am »
Gary....I am glad that so far AB 2609 been passing easily. However I am confused by a recent amendment (7/2) to AB 2609.   It reads.....Beer or wine produced pursuant to this section may only be provided or served to the public pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (3) within a clearly identified area, that includes, but is not limited to, a physical barrier with a monitored point of entry. Beer or wine produced by a beer manufacturer or winegrower as defined in Sections 23012 and 23013, respectively, and licensed by the department, shall not be provided or served to the public within this area.
It seems to me that homebrewed beer/wine has to be served in a seperate area than commercial beer/wine and you have to have a "hall monitor" watching people go in and out?   Is that true?
The problem I have with it is I am currently donating homebrew to various charities/non profit events.  These events also feature commercial beer/wine to some degree.  It is highly doubtful that anyone is going to set up a special area complete with a physical barrier and monitored point of entry just because there is homemade beer/wine.  So any idea why this ridiculous amendment was put into AB 2609?
I really have no idea where that amendment came from.  We didn't get any forewarning on that one.

My reading of it is that it is intended to differentiate commercial beverages from homemade beverages.  Some rope stanchions or something similar to differentiate the space would probably be sufficient.  This amendment only applies to events open to the public.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2014, 12:36:19 pm »
The California homebrew bill AB 2609, which allows for homebrewer organizations to host homebrew events, like the Southern California Homebrewers Festival and the AHA National Homebrewers Conference, has now cleared the legislature and is awaiting Governor Brown's signature. Yesterday, the Assembly concurred with the Senate amended version of the bill. The bill passed all committee hearings and votes in both the Assembly and Senate unanimously, thanks to all of the contacts with legislators from homebrewers.  Thank you to all of the California homebrewers who have contacted their legislators!

The Governor's signature is the final hurdle.  The bill sponsor, Assemblyman Brian Nestande, has requested that the state's homebrewers contact the Governor's office (mail or fax are best, emails are not actively counted, so have much less influence).  See the action alert we sent to all California AHA members on Friday for more details: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/recent-alerts/california-action-needed/.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2014, 01:46:43 pm »
As you may have seen posted elsewhere, Governor Brown signed California AB 2609 yesterday, meaning homebrewer organizations like the AHA and the California Homebrewers Association can once again legally host homebrewer events in the state. 

Thank you to all of the California homebrewers that reached out to their legislators and the governor's office.  This bill did not have a single "no" vote at any point in the process, thanks in large part to all of the communications from homebrewers.

Thanks also to Christy Elshof and the California Homebrewers Association board for really driving this issue.

I hope to see you all at the AHA National Homebrewers Conference in San Diego next June!
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2015, 11:31:47 am »
Visit the Brewers Association current issues page for an update on legal and legislative matters that occured in April 2015!

Cheers,
Duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association