Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brett experience?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
Brett experience?
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:34:40 pm »
Anybody on here have experience working with Brett Lambicus? I brewed a barley wine this weekend that I would like to add cherry puree and Brett to it. My idea is to add it in a tertiary after it had sat in secondary for a bit, but I've never dealt with it and I'm unsure if this is the right way to add it into the brew.
AHA member since '10

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Brett experience?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:51:22 pm »
I would think Brett. Clausennii or Bruxellensis would be a better choice of Brett. based on what you want to do, but that is just my opinion.  It probably doesn't matter when you add the Brett. because it will ferment out all the sugars completely.  I would just add both in the secondary so I only have to transfer once.  But, that is my opinion because I am lazy ;D

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 02:55:44 pm »
brett can be added at any point in the fermentation process and it will eat through some of the more difficult sugars left behind by your primary yeast (even at higher abv levels)... although in this case not likely all.  what stage is your barley wine at now?  in secondary?  no need to rack another time, just dump cherries and brett right in.  brett lambicus has been a pretty good performer for me, and with the additional sugar from the cherries, should take off pretty good in your barley wine.

I think brett lambicus is a good choice with the cherry puree.  it will make the cherry aroma pop a bit more in my opinion.

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:59:48 pm »
Thanks for the quick info. I was up in the air between the Lambicus and the Brux strains and I just took a stab in the dark with the Lamb. I still need to order it from the LBS since they dont keep it in stock.
AHA member since '10

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:01:10 pm »
brett can be added at any point in the fermentation process and it will eat through some of the more difficult sugars left behind by your primary yeast (even at higher abv levels)... although in this case not likely all.  what stage is your barley wine at now?  in secondary?  no need to rack another time, just dump cherries and brett right in.  brett lambicus has been a pretty good performer for me, and with the additional sugar from the cherries, should take off pretty good in your barley wine.

I think brett lambicus is a good choice with the cherry puree.  it will make the cherry aroma pop a bit more in my opinion.

I pitched the yeast at 11PM Saturday night so it's in it's infancy.
AHA member since '10

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:10:48 pm »
I would transfer off of your primary yeast cake prior to adding the Brett. of your choice. I think I saw something where Vinnie of Russian River said Brett. can go down to 1.020-1.010 fairly quickly, but takes months to go from 1.010 to 1.000ish.  So let the primary fermentation finish out and with a Barleywine this can easily take a month. Then transfer to secondary and add cherries/Brett..  Then when finished bottle or keg.  Just make sure fermentation is complete with the Brett. prior to bottling or you will have bottle bombs on hand!

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:48:10 pm »
Thanks for the great info guys. Here's to hoping it turns out great! cheers
AHA member since '10

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »
American or English Barleywine?  I might lay off or cut back on the dry hopping if you are planning to add cherries......

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:59:45 pm »
American or English Barleywine?  I might lay off or cut back on the dry hopping if you are planning to add cherries......

American and I added the last hops at flameout. I can post full recipe if you want to take a gander
AHA member since '10