Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anchor Steam Clone?  (Read 12760 times)

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
Re: Anchor Steam Clone?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 12:45:51 pm »
Kit B, I hate to tell you this but corn was a very popular pre-prohibition adjunct (see comments below).  Otherwise I agree with everything you said, especially the vienna and munich comment.  One other note that I've seen quite a bit in older texts; it's possible that cluster rather than northern brewer gives the spicy notes.  cheers, j

Wahl and Heinus's American Handy Book of Brewing and Malting (1902) describes California Steam Beer as “a very clear, refreshing drink, much consumed by the laboring classes.” And while Anchor Steam is an all-barley malt beer, additives were often used in the early days. According to the book, "Malt alone, malt and grits, or raw cereals of any kind, and sugars, especially glucose, employed in the kettle to the extent of 331⁄3 percent... Roasted malt or sugar coloring is used to give the favorite amber color of Munich beer."

I stand corrected...Please, excuse my ignorance, as I had been previously informed that corn was an adjuct that met its wide use after prohibition & that CA Common beers were all-barley, made from locally grown ingredients, which likely included local cluster hops (an ancestor of today's Northern Brewer).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:52:29 pm by Kit B »

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 01:12:31 pm »
I stand corrected...Please, excuse my ignorance, as I had been previously informed that corn was an adjuct that met its wide use after prohibition & that CA Common beers were all-barley, made from locally grown ingredients, which likely included local cluster hops (an ancestor of today's Northern Brewer).

I think that it was after prohibition that they really started using a lot of adjuncts. Like using 60% corn rather than just 10-30%.  There was a great brewing techniques article on the history of cali common brewing. I think you'd have to order it as a backissue though, I couldn't find it with their article search.  All this talk about the beer is the motivation I needed to attempt a clone.  cheers, j

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 02:11:22 pm »
I've got about 4 gallons of CA Common in a keg...Tasty stuff!
Too bad I have to drive for 3-1/2 hours this evening.
I'd love to dive in & have a few.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 01:19:02 pm »
Anchor uses Cascade hops, just not in Anchor Steam.  Anchor Liberty is full of them.  When I toured the brewery, they pointed out the hop room with two sacks nailed to the wall.  One was labeled "CAS" and the other "NB".  I asked the guide if they used any hops other than Cascade and Northern Brewer, and she looked like I just stole the Colonel's recipe of 13 herbs and spices.  I later found out she just worked on the dock and didn't even brew.  Odd what some people think is a secret.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »
Anchor uses Cascade hops, just not in Anchor Steam.  Anchor Liberty is full of them.  When I toured the brewery, they pointed out the hop room with two sacks nailed to the wall.  One was labeled "CAS" and the other "NB".  I asked the guide if they used any hops other than Cascade and Northern Brewer, and she looked like I just stole the Colonel's recipe of 13 herbs and spices.  I later found out she just worked on the dock and didn't even brew.  Odd what some people think is a secret.
I had a similar experience at Anchor.  When I asked about mash temps, the guide joked about having to kill me if he told the secret.  It did not make me a happy "tourist" but I felt better after a few beers in the tasting room.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 03:20:33 pm »
A few or 5.  The last one we got to make a choice.  The 'Old Foghorn' was pouring good that day.  Glad we were taking the bus.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!