Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High fermentation temps  (Read 1666 times)

Offline sailortodd

• Cellarman
High fermentation temps
« on: July 02, 2011, 12:21:23 pm »
I recently collaborated on an IPA with a buddy, and it is currently fermenting at his place. Unfortunately, the temp control at his place isn't great, and is out of my hands. The ambient temp will likely be around 75-77 a good portion of the time. Kind of out of my control, and I wish I could do something about it, but all I'll really be able to do is taste the results. For reference, recipe as follows:

10# pale LME
.75# Crystal 40L (steeped)
.75# Victory (steeped)
1.5 oz Willamette x 60 min
.5oz Northern Brewer x 60 min
1 oz Willamette x 15 min
1 oz Willamette x 1 min
.5 oz Willamette DH @ 7 days
2 packets US-05 dry yeast.

At such high ferm temps, what can I expect with US-05? Overwhelming fruity esters? Fusel alcohols that'll make it taste like jet fuel? Just kind of curious how bad it can be.
Beer: so much more than just a breakfast drink.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: High fermentation temps
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »
Unfortunately, the temp control at his place isn't great......

He doesn't have a the ability to put the fermenter in a container of cool water?
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 12:49:51 pm »
i built a simple fermentation cooler out of a sheet and a half of 4x8 sheathing.  it's big enough for two buckets to ferment.  i've found one gallon of frozen water in each chamber keeps the temperature right around 62 degrees for about 12-15 hours at a time.  ill post a picture when i figure out how to do that.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 01:50:30 pm »
At such high ferm temps, what can I expect with US-05? Overwhelming fruity esters? Fusel alcohols that'll make it taste like jet fuel? Just kind of curious how bad it can be.

A swamp cooler filled with cool water (60-65F) would help matters.

As far as the fermenting in the upper 70's goes, one can expect a high level of ester production and potentially some fusel alcohols but that would also depend on the amount of yeast cells and the gravity of the beer. In your case you could expect a high level of fruitiness and maybe some fusel alcohol. If you pitched on the lower side then I would expect the ester production to be lower than if you pitched higher, but that also depends on the actual temp of the beer at high krausen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:52:16 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:17:50 pm »
In other words it's likely the batch is effed. My experiences with S-05 are that they don't make great beer at those temps. Only time will tell.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis