Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tell me about Kolsch please  (Read 13031 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Tell me about Kolsch please
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 08:24:07 am »
You want pils malt for sure, preferably german but Rahr works well. Not briess.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 09:39:08 am »

What's your reasoning for "not briess?" I've heard people don't like Briess pils and I have only ever used weyermann and best malz so I can't attest to why.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 10:01:51 am »
Bries pils malt is bland and flavorless IMO.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:54 am »
Al Haunold ran the OSU hop development program (or something like that) in the 80s and 90s. He released all four of the Hallertau Mf mimics: Ultra, Liberty, Crystal, and Mt. Hood. He liked Mt. Hood the best, fwiw. Ultra seems harder to find than the others, but Crystal and Mt. Hood shouldn't be too hard to find.

Vanguard is another good noble-ish hop, as hopfen pointed out.

I think Ultra is all but out of production these days.  I have not seen it for a while as a commercial hop.  I did buy a rhizome about 10-11 years back, but it is not have a good yield here.

Mt. Hood is one that I like also.  Never played with crystal, maybe next fall I will buy some.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 10:26:59 am »

+1

I also recommend Pils malt for this style. I've used Weyermann and Best. The pils malt will work better for this style as it will allow for a nice balance with the Kolsch yeast as opposed to the more maltier profile of a 2-row base malt. This beer exhibits a delicate flavor profile and is really good when properly balanced.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 10:27:53 am »
I've made a couple Kolsch's with Breiss 2-row simply because it was all I had for grain. Turned out OK and very drinkable but in the future I'll be using pils malt. And I've made 2 batches with all Zeus hops. Mt hood is good in there as well.

Don't obsess just do it. Despite it's simplicity and paleness the style is very forgiving.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 11:02:32 am »
Anyone here used Global's Kolsch Malt in their Kolsch, and if so at what %?  Seems pretty dark.

thanks--
--Michael

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:44 am »

+1

I also recommend Pils malt for this style. I've used Weyermann and Best. The pils malt will work better for this style as it will allow for a nice balance with the Kolsch yeast as opposed to the more maltier profile of a 2-row base malt. This beer exhibits a delicate flavor profile and is really good when properly balanced.

I use Wyermann Pils a lot.  I went through a couple of bags of Briess Malteurop a year or so ago and it made a beer that was lacking the same flavor and, interestingly, had a little drop in efficiency.
Some of the honey flavor that ukolowiczd mentioned in his post is from pils malt rather than yeast, so I think European pils malt is important in this style.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 01:28:40 pm »
I've heard some people add a very small late addition or flameout addition, like 10-20g / 5gal. Any opinions on late hop addition, or just go with a bittering addition? I was also planning on a mix of Rahr pils and Colorado pale malt, but should I just go all pils?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 08:25:03 am »
Any recommendations on a mash schedule?   Is a decoction appropriate for the style given its German origins?
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 08:58:30 am »
No. Decoction isn't traditional for this style.  Step mashing is.  My normal schedule for attenuated German ales is something like 131/10, 145/30, 158/10, 170/10.  My system lets me direct-fire the mash tun while recirculating, so I step that way.  Direct infusions of boiling water works too.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 10:23:39 am »
No. Decoction isn't traditional for this style.  Step mashing is.  My normal schedule for attenuated German ales is something like 131/10, 145/30, 158/10, 170/10.  My system lets me direct-fire the mash tun while recirculating, so I step that way.  Direct infusions of boiling water works too.

Thanks Gordon.  I just converted my system to direct fired, manually controlled RIM and should be done testing it Friday night.  I'm going to follow your schedule when I take the revised system out for a spin with a Kolsch on Saturday.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »
Anyone here used Global's Kolsch Malt in their Kolsch, and if so at what %?  Seems pretty dark.

thanks--
--Michael

I'm also really interested in the answer to this question.
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 02:45:28 pm »
I have used the Global kolsch malt and blended it with Pils malt once to try the thing out. Just didn't find it was worth the extra effort. I blended it because the SRM of the Global Kolsch malt is so high.

As far as step mash goes, obviously if you have the RIMS set up that makes it easier, but a single infusion is all you really need on this beer. I never saw any great benefit from bothering with a step mash.

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 02:50:41 pm »

thanks--
--Michael

I'm also really interested in the answer to this question.

I've tasted Kolsch made with 100% Global Kolsch malt; it was interesting but it didn't really remind me of any of the Koln Kolsch I had. I imagine a 50/50 blend with a good European pils would be more on target.

I like to blend Best Malz pils and MFB pale ale as a base for Kolsch, seems to work well.