Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop freshness  (Read 2506 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Hop freshness
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:38 pm »
Hello all, I purchased 1 lb of Cascade and 1 lb of Chinook from fiftypoundsack.com.  After a pale ale, an IPA and an IIPA, I think the hops were significantly less than fresh.  I did pay less than $16 per lb with free shipping.  What I would like to know is, what are some better sites/vendors to buy bulk hops cheap?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Hop freshness
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 01:37:07 am »
I almost always buy from hopsdirect.com.  I've had no problems, very happy with the product.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:56:27 am »
I almost always buy from hopsdirect.com.  I've had no problems, very happy with the product.

+1

I also use Freshhops when I can't get what I need from hopsdirect. Both are great outfits.

http://www.freshops.com/
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 06:33:02 am »
In addition, I buy in the fall after the harvest, when they have the notice up that it is the 2011 crop on sale. Then vacuum pack and store in the freezer if you want the hops to stay at the peak of freshness.

Imported hops come in around Christmas, so I do a second order for the European varieties.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 06:40:23 am »
In addition, I buy in the fall after the harvest, when they have the notice up that it is the 2011 crop on sale. Then vacuum pack and store in the freezer if you want the hops to stay at the peak of freshness.
Imported hops come in around Christmas, so I do a second order for the European varieties.

Great tip Jeff.

I buy hops by the pound and break them down into 4oz vacuum sealed packs, then store in the freezer.
Ron Price

Offline Paul Gagnon

• 1st Kit
  • Paul Gagnon
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 09:36:09 am »
I also use Freshops and Hopsdirect and ALWAYS buy my core hops for the year just after they become available in the fall. Stored airtight in the freezer, they will last a few years. I usually buy more than I need, especially hot varieties, just in case a club member needs some throughout the year.
Paul Gagnon
QUAFF

On tap:
Common Cider
Figtastic Brown Ale
Citra IPA

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:30:27 am »

This is my SOP.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:03 am »
In addition, I buy in the fall after the harvest, when they have the notice up that it is the 2011 crop on sale.

Not to be a smartass, but how do you know that you're getting the current crop as opposed to leftovers from the previous year?

Are there markings on the packages indicating packing date?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:27:56 am »
In addition, I buy in the fall after the harvest, when they have the notice up that it is the 2011 crop on sale.

Not to be a smartass, but how do you know that you're getting the current crop as opposed to leftovers from the previous year?

Are there markings on the packages indicating packing date?
Hopsdirect will have a close out sale on the 2010.  Then they say the new crop is on sale, for each variety when it is processed.  Not all mature at the same time, which is good for the growers.  Aroma hops usually mature first, then high alpha.  I check their web site often in the fall, and when the varieties that I want are listed as the new crop, I then buy those.  You can e-mail or call if you want to be sure.

Other than that, I trust them.  They have been excellent in the customer support in the past, and really seem to be good  people.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 02:08:36 pm »
I also use Freshops and Hopsdirect and ALWAYS buy my core hops for the year just after they become available in the fall. Stored airtight in the freezer, they will last a few years. I usually buy more than I need, especially hot varieties, just in case a club member needs some throughout the year.

Great idea. This will be my first Fall of brewing and I would love to buy in bulk and put some away for a rainy day
AHA member since '10