Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP brett strains (cell count and viability)  (Read 2608 times)

Offline jklinck

• Cellarman
WLP brett strains (cell count and viability)
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:01:47 pm »
With regular WLP vials a brand new vial has 100 billion cells. How many does a Brett (brett only) vial have? I ask because the vial doesn't have the regular yeast cake in the bottom of the vial like their regular sacch. strains do. Their packaging date is four months before the best by date for sacch. strains. What is it with brett vials? It clearly isn't 4 months because I just picked up a vial that has a best before date of 12/08/11.
BJCP National Judge, D0872

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: WLP brett strains (cell count and viability)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 06:46:42 am »
As far as cell counts, this is from the White Labs website:

Q: I just bought one vial of brettanomyces brux WLP650. I have used White Labs "normal" ale yeast in the past and have noticed that there is usually a 1-2 inch pellet ( yeast cake) at the bottom of the tube. WLP650 has a very small pellet (1-2 millimeters) at the bottom. Is there still the same number of yeast cells in a vial of brettanomyces as saccaromyces?

A: This sounds normal, as we do not concentrate the brettanomyces. Therefore, you won't see a thick layer in the tube. The cultures are generally 50 million cells/ml.

I couldn't find anything on the viability date, although I'm pretty sure Brett strains are hardier than Saccharomyces.
Mark Gres

narvin

Re: WLP brett strains (cell count and viability)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 07:13:37 am »
According to Jamil, the White Labs Brett and Bacteria products are produced 6 months before the best by date.