Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mead question on acid addition...  (Read 1994 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Mead question on acid addition...
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:16:26 pm »
I am looking to make my first mead, and on studying some recipes, they call for an acid blend of citric, malic, and tartaric acids. Could I use just citric, or is using all 3 acids truly important? I know the use of the acid blend is optional. Just wondering if I can get a similar result with just citric? Thanks...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline kenschramm

• 1st Kit
  • Mead head
Re: Mead question on acid addition...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »
The acid blend is intended to imitate a generic blend of fruit-based acids. Citric is obviously citrus fruit, malic is the primary acid in apples, and tartaric is grapes. In isolation, they do each have a unique taste and impression of tartness. You can use the citric, but the taste profile will be discernably different than the blend.

Ken
bright red cherries against a blue sky, fresh and ripe, preserved through time...

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:31:31 pm »
Whichever you do, it's best to not use them at the start.  You can drive the must pH too low for yeast to happily ferment.  It's best to add at the end to taste, particularly after you know how much residual sugar will be present.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:32:47 pm »
Thanks to you both, I'm kinda in awe to have both of you give me advice. Ken, I just bought your book "The Complete Meadmaker" this afternoon... looking forward to expanding my brewing knowledge! Thanks again! :D
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.