Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need Advice--Did I ruin my honey?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline roxanne

• 1st Kit
Re: Need Advice--Did I ruin my honey?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 05:24:37 pm »
For the future, another option is to warm the honey in the microwave.  Microwave for about a minute - it will flow pretty easily.  Better to start with lower times & then add more time.    I've also used a microwave to help with crystalized honey - Microwave for a minute or 2 (lids off).  Recap & shake (or stir if it's really solid).  Let it sit for a 5+ minutes so some of the honey sugar can redissolve.  Repeat as needed.  Just don't microwave for too long (if the water in the honey gets too hot, it may cause some spillover.
Without the light, it is the brightest.

Roxanne Westendorf
Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati
www.bloatarian.com

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 08:02:01 am »
For the future, another option is to warm the honey in the microwave. 

If you go with warming your beer in a microwave, just be very careful to know your equipment. Honey in a plastic jug can easily develop hot spots which melt or collapses the jug! I speak from sad personal experience.

Go low and slow. Only nuke the honey for a minute or so at a time (or just a few seconds if you're warming a small amount of honey). Consider using the defrost setting and watch the microwave like a hungry hawk.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41:57 am »
Microwave honey?!  Yikes! 
In a plastic jar?!  Double yikes!!

Patience Grasshopper...

Even completely crystalized honey will come out of a container if given a bit of time and a bit of low heat.  The most heat that should ever be applied is a water bath of hot tap water. 

Take your time.  Go slow.  Do you realize how many hours of hard bee work a pound of honey represents?

Microwave honey...  good grief!  ???
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907