General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

A Double Question - Most Interesting Beer and Best Beer of the Year

(1/5) > >>

dbeechum:
So let's reflect on the year to be remembered (and brag just a bit).

What was the most interesting / creative / experimental beer you did this year

What was the beer you were happiest with / proud of / sucked back so fast it vaporized?

For me - I think the most interesting ones I did were the series of "Fantome" inspired beers that I talked about over here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=111.0

The best beer that I made in terms of kicking my ass, taking names and flashing out of existence about as fast as I've ever seen was a beer I brewed with my cohort Jonny Lieberman - The Audacity of Hops / The Audacity of Aretha Franklin's Hat. The Hat version was fermented in steel, the Hops was in glass. They each got different dry hopping schedules. The Hat, straight out of the keg, was potent enough to slap your head into LEO and you couldn't wait to get back down to Earth to take another sip. We poured both through a set of Randalls at the Southern California Homebrewer's Festival and despite the sick, sick plethora of beer on tap, each keg was blowing foam within 3 hours

Damn that was a good beer. Slap yer mouth good.

hamiltont:
Well, I’m not sure I can be quite so colorful   ;D  but I did have a few that turned out okay.  The State & County Fairs produced 19 - 1st places, 8 - 2nd places and 1 - 3rd Place.  Maybe I went a little overboard there?? 

I guess my two favorites were a Sweet Stout and a DIPA. 

The most interesting was a California Common.  Might have used a little too much Northern Brewer hops in that one.  I wanted to really get a feel for the flavor & aroma. Definitely got that…  :o

babalu87:

What was the beer you were happiest with / proud of / sucked back so fast it vaporized?

Darkness Imperial Black Ale

Used brown malt AND roasted malts
Not just a color thing, this beer has a lot going on.

Wife said its the best beer I ever brewed.

Batch 2's keg is already getting light  >:(

Robert:

1)I actually made the beer in '08, but bottled my Flanders Red this year....mmmm yummy. I also did a Belgian Dark Strong with WY3789 that has brett in it. Coming along wonderfully, 1.085 to 1.003 right now, pellicle has fallen and I'm thinking of bottling early next year.

2)A tie. I made 20 gallons of a simple bitter recipe this year and drank all 20, and also killed a keg of DC's RyePA, which I did a small bittering addition, then loaded up in the last 15 minutes for the rest of the IBU's, in quick fashion. 

corkybstewart:
2 stand out but for very different reasons.
My wee heavy required a new process.  I boiled to gallons of first runnings down to less than a quart of goo.  It fermented from 1.098 to 1.036 and stopped, but after 2 months in the keg it is magnificent, no sweetness but incredibly malty.
The other was my Oktoberfest Hefewiezen.  I waited until 2 weeks before the party so that it would be fresh and then realized I had no yeast for it.  My kids and I drank 5 or 6 different brands of hefeweizen from the grocery store and poured the dregs into a starter.2 days later the starter was ready, I brewed the hefe and we drank 10 gallons of it at Oktoberfest.  Everybody there said it was their favorite of the 3 beers I brewed for the party.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version