Author Topic: Beer from concentrate?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Beer from concentrate?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 09:35:43 AM »
The only problem with brewing a stronger beer initially, is it will tend to foam even more vigorously due to more sugar and higher initial viscosity.

You might try Fermcap-S, the stuff works well to keep foaming down.  I love the stuff.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brewing After Law School
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »
At this point, I exclusively ferment in buckets for this exact reason. I only use 5 gallon carboys for dry hopping, bulk aging/lagering, and intensive fining (if I know the keg will be shook up and so I can't effectively fine in the keg and I can't fine in the primary because I am harvesting the yeast).

6.5 gallons is, IMO, the minimum size that works for a FULL 5 gallon corny keg. However, if you guys are as financially tight as it sounds... you probably aren't kegging. I would just switch to 4 gallon batches if I were you. That being said, I have tried what you describe (adding 1 gal of water to a 4 gal batch of fermented beer), and the beer came out fine.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
The only problem with brewing a stronger beer initially, is it will tend to foam even more vigorously due to more sugar and higher initial viscosity.

You might try Fermcap-S, the stuff works well to keep foaming down.  I love the stuff.

In don't necessarily find that higher OG beer develop more krausen. I think it depends on yeast. Also, as I said, warmer temps, and especially warmer pitching temps tend to create more krausen IME. Seems like restraining the fermentation in the beginning (ie: pitching cooler) leads to lower blow off rates.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 11:02:29 AM »

In don't necessarily find that higher OG beer develop more krausen. I think it depends on yeast. Also, as I said, warmer temps, and especially warmer pitching temps tend to create more krausen IME. Seems like restraining the fermentation in the beginning (ie: pitching cooler) leads to lower blow off rates.

Right.  None of my high grav bathes throw more krausen than the more standard beers so that shouldn't be an issue.
I think a bigger fermentor is the best answer.  I use a 7.5 gal carboy currently and haven't used a blowoff tube in more than 20 years.  If you don't want to spring for a large carboy, a bucket is a great option, less expensive and certainly less fragile than glass.
Ditch the blowout and then you won't be involuntarily ditching beer!
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 11:10:33 AM »
I agree that the yeast strain is probably the single biggest factor, with early ferm temps having a prominent role.  I still think that, for a given yeast and ferm temp, you'll see a more pronounced krausen due to the higher viscosity wort.  That and theres a correlation between ferm temp and OG that can be more difficult to control with a high gravity brew.

I brew smaller batches myself so container size is not a limitation for me, a 2-4gal batch suits my consumption rate and need to brew frequently.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »
All I can tell ya is that my 1.104 quad didn't throw more krausen than the 1.054 Patersbier I made to start the yeast for the quad.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
Leave to actual experience to ruin a perfectly good theoretical argument.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »

Sorry to bum yer trip!  ;)  But it sounded like you have actual experience, too, that contradicted mine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

ccarlson

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:51 PM »
I agree that the yeast strain is probably the single biggest factor, with early ferm temps having a prominent role.  I still think that, for a given yeast and ferm temp, you'll see a more pronounced krausen due to the higher viscosity wort.  That and theres a correlation between ferm temp and OG that can be more difficult to control with a high gravity brew.

I brew smaller batches myself so container size is not a limitation for me, a 2-4gal batch suits my consumption rate and need to brew frequently.

I always see a small increase in krausen with heavier beers, even with the same yeasts.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:00:06 PM by ccarlson »

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 12:58:05 PM »

Sorry to bum yer trip!  ;)  But it sounded like you have actual experience, too, that contradicted mine.

Less of a side by side, just was always impressed by the amount and length of retention of the krausen in my Belgian dubbels.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »
I brew a Belgian White and a Belgian Tripel very regularly. I fill a 3 bbl fermenter to about 85 gallons. With the white (a 1.050 beer) the krausen often hits the top of the fermenter. With the tripel (1.080 beer) the krausen never gets higher than 5 or 6 inches or so. Same yeast, pitch at same temp. So, go figure!
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

ccarlson

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 02:55:49 PM »

Less of a side by side, just was always impressed by the amount and length of retention of the krausen in my Belgian dubbels.

Good point. I not also see more, but it stays around longer.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »
It may be a money issue. We aren't all endowed with an abundance of disposable brew money and have to make the most of what we have. At least that's my case.

They are still making 5 gallons worth of expense, just boiling it down further and then adding the additional water later. No cost saving there. If its money then just cut the cost by 1/5 and make 4 gallon batches.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

ccarlson

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
It may be a money issue. We aren't all endowed with an abundance of disposable brew money and have to make the most of what we have. At least that's my case.

They are still making 5 gallons worth of expense, just boiling it down further and then adding the additional water later. No cost saving there. If its money then just cut the cost by 1/5 and make 4 gallon batches.

That was in response to the those who said to just go out and buy a bigger fermenter.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
Yes, you could do a cocentrated brew.  But if this is really about retaining the blowoff while using the same batch size and same fermenters, you could capture the blowoff in a sanitized reservoir, itself equipped with an airlock, and then later pour the captured blowoff back into the fermenter.  Kinda like the reservoir on some car radiators.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?