Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer from concentrate?  (Read 3510 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Beer from concentrate?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 07:04:56 pm »
It may be a money issue. We aren't all endowed with an abundance of disposable brew money and have to make the most of what we have. At least that's my case.

They are still making 5 gallons worth of expense, just boiling it down further and then adding the additional water later. No cost saving there. If its money then just cut the cost by 1/5 and make 4 gallon batches.

That was in response to the those who said to just go out and buy a bigger fermenter.

And I was agreeing with you. Everybody probably drinks the same amount in the long run but short term 4 gallons worth of ingredents will save a little. Might even save enough to get a bigger fermenter :D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

ccarlson

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 07:14:58 pm »
It may be a money issue. We aren't all endowed with an abundance of disposable brew money and have to make the most of what we have. At least that's my case.

They are still making 5 gallons worth of expense, just boiling it down further and then adding the additional water later. No cost saving there. If its money then just cut the cost by 1/5 and make 4 gallon batches.

That was in response to the those who said to just go out and buy a bigger fermenter.

And I was agreeing with you. Everybody probably drinks the same amount in the long run but short term 4 gallons worth of ingredents will save a little. Might even save enough to get a bigger fermenter :D

That would work. Sorry, I didn't catch where you were going with that. ::)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:24 pm »
Re: Bigger fermenter argument. You can get a 7 gallon bucket for pretty darn cheap and they have their pros over a carboy. Granted, they have their cons too - but decidedly less IMO. I was one of the most stubborn SoBs out there to give up my carboys. I've switched now entirely to Better Bottles and Buckets or stainless. No more glass for me.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 07:10:56 pm »
Yes, you could do a cocentrated brew.  But if this is really about retaining the blowoff while using the same batch size and same fermenters, you could capture the blowoff in a sanitized reservoir, itself equipped with an airlock, and then later pour the captured blowoff back into the fermenter.  Kinda like the reservoir on some car radiators.

In a roundabout way, kind of  like what  the Burton Unions system was about too, no?
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 11:41:18 am »
Something like that, yes.  But without separating the yeast, although I think I've seen similar setups for doing that as well.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?