Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops Direct announced this years crop  (Read 8391 times)

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
Re: Hops Direct announced this years crop
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 12:02:45 am »
I hadn't thought about being paid to do the research, more that I would get a modest advance on a book. I'm a university professor in Russian History, so actually research these sorts of things for a living.

You might also investigate some of the more obscure traditional Eastern European beers, especially if you have access to foreign language sources or regularly travel to Russia and surrounding countries. There might be some interest in the variations on Kvass. I'm also intrigued by an obscure Ukrainian beer (or beer brand) called "Bile" - which, despite the horrible name, is a tasty light-bodied slightly sour wheat beer which splits the difference between an American wheat and a Berlinerweisse..

AFAIK, nobody's written anything in English on the history of brewing of brewing in the X-USSR/CIS or the former Warsaw Pact nations. Even after the Berlin Wall fell, Michael Jackson didn't venture that far into Eastern Europe. Currently, the only book in English I know of on brewing or the beer scene in Eastern Europe is the CAMRA Good Beer Guide to Prague, which obviously doesn't cover the entire country.

So, the story of Communist era brewing has probably yet to be told. A potential place to start is Ron Pattinson's "European Beer Guide" (http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/). He's an amateur historian, but he's done a lot of work into primary sources, especially historical foreign language sources.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 02:01:48 am »
Where is the announcement for this year's crop?  I can't find it anywhere.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 04:42:20 am »
It was an email.  I can't find it on the site either.  Here's some of the text:

Summertime in the Yakima Valley is typically a very hot and dry season, making the valley an exceptional area for growing hops. Growing season is primetime to witness the payoff of your hard work; however, you must be aware of the possibility of aphid infestation in your crops. To help eliminate this frequent issue, we use a specialty pesticide on our farm. Pay close attention to your crops as aphids are extremely common.

Also during this time, you can assist the plants to reach their full potential in many ways. Make sure that the soil surrounding the hop plant is moist, but do not drown the plant by overwatering, as this will cause root rot. After the plants are really growing, (about two months) you should fertilize them with any balanced potted plant fertilizer, such as Miracle-Gro®. Hops also benefit from applications of a garden fertilizer, such as Mega Green, in spring and summer during growth season.

Varieties Growing on Puterbaugh Farms

The 2011 varieties of hop varieties that we are growing this summer and will be selling includes:

Cascade                                  Centennial                             

Chinook                                   Cluster

Columbus                                Galena

Magnum                                   Mt. Hood

No. Brewer                               Nugget

Tettnanger                               Willamette                       

Our new varieties that we will also offer but will not be available until the end of September include:

Calypso                                   Newport

Pilot*                                      SaraBrianka

Ultra

* Unavailable until the end of the year, imported from UK

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 11:39:27 am »
I'm still amused by the thoughts of hops from Kursk.  Instead of type T-90, they are type T-34.  Aroma of cordite and diesel.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 12:20:48 pm »
I'm still amused by the thoughts of hops from Kursk.  Instead of type T-90, they are type T-34.  Aroma of cordite and diesel.

That was a thought that hadn't occurred to me.

Put's a whole new meaning on the notion of of hop-bombs.

(for those confused here, Kursk was a battle on the Eastern Front in the summer of 1943. It remains the largest tank battle in history. The T-34 was a Soviet Tank.)
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 12:50:49 pm »
I hadn't thought about being paid to do the research, more that I would get a modest advance on a book. I'm a university professor in Russian History, so actually research these sorts of things for a living.

AFAIK, nobody's written anything in English on the history of brewing of brewing in the X-USSR/CIS or the former Warsaw Pact nations. Even after the Berlin Wall fell, Michael Jackson didn't venture that far into Eastern Europe. Currently, the only book in English I know of on brewing or the beer scene in Eastern Europe is the CAMRA Good Beer Guide to Prague, which obviously doesn't cover the entire country.

I've run the literature search, and there's nothing in English on brewing in the former USSR. There's not really anything in Russian either. It seems it's worth doing.
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 02:54:14 pm »
That was a thought that hadn't occurred to me.

Put's a whole new meaning on the notion of of hop-bombs.

(for those confused here, Kursk was a battle on the Eastern Front in the summer of 1943. It remains the largest tank battle in history. The T-34 was a Soviet Tank.)
Some may have needed the explaination, but I was laughing when I read Gordon's post.  Some say the T-34 was the best tank of the war.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 03:07:54 pm »
Has anyone tried the SaraBrianka hops yet? What kind of aroma/flavor do they lend to the finished beer?
Ron Price

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »
I've tried the Russian version. See my earlier description on page 1 of the thread.
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 03:18:53 pm »
I've tried the Russian version. See my earlier description on page 1 of the thread.

Sorry...I missed that. Have you used them yet?

Thanks  :)
Ron Price

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 03:29:38 pm »
I'm also intrigued by an obscure Ukrainian beer (or beer brand) called "Bile" - which, despite the horrible name, is a tasty light-bodied slightly sour wheat beer which splits the difference between an American wheat and a Berlinerweisse.

Bile (pronounced with a terminal ye) is the Ukrainian word for white. The Russian equivalent is Beloe. I've had stacks of these in Moscow and Petersburg, and yes, they do fall between an American Wheat and a Berlinerweisse.
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 08:55:04 pm »

I've run the literature search, and there's nothing in English on brewing in the former USSR. There's not really anything in Russian either. It seems it's worth doing.
If you find any Czech or Slovak brewing text I can help you to translate it.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 11:22:07 am »
After looking at the information here:  http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/person/2450/hopcultivars/21045.html it looks like it very well could be an old continental variety with the tiny sidearms and low alpha and cohumulone.  The problem with many of these older varieties is that they are generally really poor producers no matter where they're grown.