Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maris Otter in a Belgian Dark Strong  (Read 4092 times)

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
Maris Otter in a Belgian Dark Strong
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:16:01 pm »
I've got some Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter laying around and I'd like to use it up. I know that Pils malt is the traditional base for a BDS, but what about MO?

Here's my recipe - the only thing that has changed is the Pils -> Maris Otter from the award winning beers I've produced with it.

10 gallons:
22.00 pounds  TF Maris Otter
6.00 pounds    German Munich Malt
2.00 pounds    German Wheat Malt Light
1.50 pounds    Belgian Special B Malt
1.50 pounds    German CaraMunich Malt I
1.50 pounds    Belgian Caravienne Malt
0.25 pounds    British Pale Chocolate

2.00 pounds      Dark Candi Sugar

OG: 1.094
FG: 1.014-6 or so

I'm thinking if I use it I may need to cut down a bit on the character malts - not much, though. Just enough to account for the extra character MO brings as opposed to Pils.

WLP530 Abbey (pitched atop cake from a Patersbier)

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Geoff
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:43:36 pm by brewblogger »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Maris Otter in a Belgian Dark Strong
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 03:37:05 pm »
I personally feel that Pils is the better option but since I have never tried it I couldn't swear one way or teh other. Tripel would be  a different story.  ;)

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:05:14 pm »
Absolutely. I wouldn't think of using MO in most Belgian styles. I think that BDS is the most forgiving.

MO Witbier anyone? ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 04:19:13 pm »
That said, just looked over your recipe and there are a few things I would change. Definitely lower the crystal down. You want some chewy crystal malt but you also want the beer to attenuate to a lower gravity (what belgian's call "digestable"). I'd use some sugar in there for sure, simplify the recipe a good deal (no need for 3 different crystal malts, probably keep crystal around 5%) and consider some of the dark belgian Candi syrup - that stuff rocks. If you use that you won;t need any special B, which I don;t particularly care for anyway.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:23:01 pm »

I think you should just go for it, and try it .  A great philosopher once said "...you'll never know until you check it out..."

It's your beer after all, and it may wind up being a genius idea.  You may even wind up  liking the result better than if you used a more traditional choice for the style, or, depending on other factors, it may not make a bit of difference.

Either way, that recipe should make a pretty tasty beer.
I'd do it.  If you're not certain, make a five gal batch rather than ten gal. 

But based on personal experience with similar questions (albeit different styles), my guess is you'll wish you'd made the ten.
just sayin'....
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 04:40:38 pm »
That said, just looked over your recipe and there are a few things I would change. Definitely lower the crystal down. You want some chewy crystal malt but you also want the beer to attenuate to a lower gravity (what belgian's call "digestable"). I'd use some sugar in there for sure, simplify the recipe a good deal (no need for 3 different crystal malts, probably keep crystal around 5%) and consider some of the dark belgian Candi syrup - that stuff rocks. If you use that you won;t need any special B, which I don;t particularly care for anyway.

Sorry should have put in there that I plan to use two pounds of candi sugar. I've used table sugar successfully as well, but I agree, the dark candi sugar does bring a nice raisiny contribution.

As for the Special B - that's definitely staying in; I rather enjoy the raisiny flavors it imparts. Interestingly, the amount of caramel (Caramunich and Caravienne) malts do seem high, but in the finished product, you get this richness and not a sweetness particularly. Good advice, though - I don't think I'll go as low as 5% total for those particular malts just because I've had so much success with the recipe in the past, but a reduction, especially with MO introduced, is in order.

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 04:42:39 pm »
It's your beer after all, and it may wind up being a genius idea.  You may even wind up  liking the result better than if you used a more traditional choice for the style, or, depending on other factors, it may not make a bit of difference.

Good point. RDWHAHB, right?

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »

Good point. RDWHAHB, right?

Indeed.
That'swhatI'mtalkinabout.

Color inside the lines if you're going into competition..that's fun too...  but if not, fugheddaboudit...brew what suits ya. 
Who knows...you may stumble upon something great.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:18 pm »

Indeed.
That'swhatI'mtalkinabout.

Color inside the lines if you're going into competition..that's fun too...  but if not, fugheddaboudit...brew what suits ya. 
Who knows...you may stumble upon something great.

Here's what I've settled on - kinda the median if you will...

10 gallons:
22.00 pounds  TF Maris Otter
6.00 pounds    German Munich Malt
2.00 pounds    German Wheat Malt Light
0.50 pounds    Belgian Special B Malt
0.50 pounds    German CaraMunich Malt I
0.50 pounds    Belgian Caravienne Malt
0.13 pounds    British Pale Chocolate

1.00 pounds      Dark Candi Sugar Syrup
1.00 pounds      Amber Candi Sugar Syrup

OG: 1.094
FG: 1.014-6 or so
WLP530 Abbey (pitched atop cake from a Patersbier)

Brew 1 of a double brew day on Saturday. 100+ degree temps in the garage, here I come!

See it on my brewlog: http://brewlog.zkdigital.com/index.php?page=brewBlogDetail&id=222

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:19:34 am by brewblogger »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 08:46:48 am »
Sorry should have put in there that I plan to use two pounds of candi sugar. I've used table sugar successfully as well, but I agree, the dark candi sugar does bring a nice raisiny contribution.

Do you mean candi syrup rather than sugar?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 10:15:13 am »
Do you mean candi syrup rather than sugar?

Right-o, Denny. Syrup. Late night posts aren't my forte...

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 12:36:40 pm »
I'm no base malt Nazi. I have subbed 2-row for pils and pils for 2-row and US 2-row for MO and vice versa.... and I have never thought, "damn, the beer is ruined!" from the decision.