Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Final Round Scoresheets?  (Read 4472 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Final Round Scoresheets?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 09:33:00 am »
Sadly, it seems like the Governing Committee gets left out of more good things. :(

(Oh, we have to enter - well, damn)

My theory is that if you don't enter, you can't lose....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 08:29:23 am »
My medal, scoresheets, and prizes arrived yesterday.  Pretty slick. I really liked getting 9 oz. of Zeus hops, since I happen to be out of them.

Thanks AHA!
Awesome!  You're welcome, and thanks for entering the 2011 NHC!

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 08:40:59 am »
I did not realize they were available at the awards ceremony and I looked as they had been available last year.
Hi John,

The score sheets were not available at the awards ceremony this year.  Last year, the competition organizers (Joe Gerteis and Kristen England) arranged for the administrative help during the competition to ready the score sheets so they could be given out after the Awards Ceremony.  Their club has done this in the past with the Upper Mississippi Mash Out, so they knew how to work it for the Final Round.  Distributing score sheets this way was unusual, and shouldn't be considered the norm for the NHC.  This year's Final Round organizers (Harold Gulbransen and Paul Sangster) did not have prior experience with distributing score sheets so quickly after the competition, so it wasn't an option this year.

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 09:58:14 am »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for entering the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, and thanks also for your patience.  I know it isn't easy to wait for your competition results, and it's even harder when you don't know why it takes so long. For future reference, this is why it takes so long for the score sheets and prizes to be sent out after the Awards Ceremony at AHA's National Homebrewers Conference.  This year we had 790 entries from 457 homebrewers competing in the NHC Final Round.

• * The truck with all of the prizes, medals, score sheets and all of the equipment takes a week to return to Boulder.
  • * During that time, the NHC Director edits and prints letters to the winners (75 this year), press releases for the winners (88), and labels (75).
  • * It takes ~1 day to unload and un-box all of the prizes from the pallets, plus set up the medals for the mailing.
  • * It takes ~2 days with 3 people working on it to box everything up to be shipped.

Once the prizes are shipped, the rest of the score sheets need to be mailed out.  In order to do that, the following has to happen.
  • * The NHC Director edits and prints letters to the entrants and mailing labels.  There were 382 of these this year.
  • * It takes 2 to 3 days with 2 people working on it to collate and mail everything.
  • * It takes ~2 days for all of the envelopes to be weighed and metered with the correct postage.

I apologize for the additional delay in this year's mailing (2 weeks) due to a second business trip and illness.  I know it isn't easy to wait for your score sheets.  For next year I will add a time line for the competition to the NHC Rules & Regulations to give everyone an idea of what and when to expect all of the different milestones of the competition to occur.  Hopefully that will help with anxieties around the posting of the First Round Results and the First and Final Round mailings, etc.

Thanks again for participating in the 2011 NHC!  Happy brewing!

Cheers,
    Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 10:32:16 am »
No, THANK YOU Janis & team for all of your efforts. I'm amazed how quickly you accomplished it all.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!