Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: vertical tasting  (Read 3537 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
vertical tasting
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:43:28 am »
I am having a vertical tasting today of Bigfoot Barleywine....it is a single year vintage
and is 8 months old...should be prime...vintage 2009.
MMMM good beer...
now I know how my user name relates to beer.... ::)
1vertical 
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
Re: vertical tasting
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:22:33 pm »
Nice, I have three different years saved right now. Bigfoot holds a special place in my heart. It was the first craft beer I ever had outside of Guiness and SNPA. Fell in love instantly with hops that fateful weekend.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 10:41:41 am »
I buy a sixer every year and store it.  I've stopped keeping it too long though...I find that at 3 years old it sort of goes to pieces and isn't worth the extra year of aging.  At two years, its perfect.  Once I find a sixer of 2010, I may have to raid the cellar for the 2008 vintage.

Doing a vertical tasting of Bigfoot shouldn't span TOO many years, lest it quickly render the vertical taster horizontal.   :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:45:19 am »
I'm attending a 12 year vertical Bigfoot tasting later this month.  Fortunately, it's really close to my house!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:47:46 am »
mmm... Barleywine tasting. Sounds good. I tried the 2008 Bigfoot and it was great. I think I like my recipe better though. Better take a cab Denny.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:51:45 am »
I'm attending a 12 year vertical Bigfoot tasting later this month.  Fortunately, it's really close to my house!

I read that....and that is what prompted this posting and my single year tasting of some I reserved.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:58:12 am by 1vertical »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:39:25 am »
I have to applaud the restraint of the guy putting on the tasting.  I seldom can hold on to anything that long.  Although, in Feb. of 2002 I bought a case of 1 year old Old Crustacean for my 50th birthday, thinking I'd hold on to some for 10 years.  Well, I'll be 58 in a few weeks, the beer will be 9 years old, and I have one left.....SO close!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 11:48:30 am »
I buy a sixer every year and store it.  I've stopped keeping it too long though...I find that at 3 years old it sort of goes to pieces and isn't worth the extra year of aging.  At two years, its perfect.  Once I find a sixer of 2010, I may have to raid the cellar for the 2008 vintage.

Doing a vertical tasting of Bigfoot shouldn't span TOO many years, lest it quickly render the vertical taster horizontal.   :)

"lest it render the vertical taster horizontal." - Ha that's funny.  I'll have to keep that in mind when I do some verticals of the Mephistopheles and Beast from Avery!

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 12:12:27 pm »
"lest it render the vertical taster horizontal." - Ha that's funny.  I'll have to keep that in mind when I do some verticals of the Mephistopheles and Beast from Avery!

I requested the Avery newsletter...hopefully that will dial me in on those happenings. I have YET to recieve a copy.
I also signed up in person at the Brewery.  I have YET to recieve a copy...no not going into my spam folder either...
I missed out on tickets to the Sourfest next month...an event I would have LOVED to visit...
B.T.W. if anyone has any extra Sourfest tix, please PM me....

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 03:40:45 am »
I have to applaud the restraint of the guy putting on the tasting.  I seldom can hold on to anything that long.  Although, in Feb. of 2002 I bought a case of 1 year old Old Crustacean for my 50th birthday, thinking I'd hold on to some for 10 years.  Well, I'll be 58 in a few weeks, the beer will be 9 years old, and I have one left.....SO close!  :)

That's very good patience, I think Old Crustacean is one of my favorite beers ever,  in my top 3 . Enjoy that one, 9 years would probably be a sweetspot and Happy Birthday in advance !
Brewing up history

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 10:36:54 am »
I'm attending a 12 year vertical Bigfoot tasting later this month.  Fortunately, it's really close to my house!

Me too, but this one's going to be at my house... so I won't have far to go either!  ;D

I'm patiently waiting on this year's release.  :P 
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 03:03:11 pm »

I requested the Avery newsletter...hopefully that will dial me in on those happenings. I have YET to recieve a copy.
I also signed up in person at the Brewery.  I have YET to recieve a copy...no not going into my spam folder either...
I missed out on tickets to the Sourfest next month...an event I would have LOVED to visit...
B.T.W. if anyone has any extra Sourfest tix, please PM me....

Thier last Monthly Mash (Newsletter) said that they may be releasing another 50 - 100 tickets depending on how many more beers they get. You might want to call them up and see where that stands!