Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Negra Modelo Yeast?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Negra Modelo Yeast?
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:44:42 pm »
Which yeast strain would be best? Preferably White Labs. While we're at it, any pointers on the grain bill?
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Negra Modelo Yeast?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:17:23 pm »
It is probably too late to get a hold of the WLP 940 (Mexican Lager) limited release strain.  I think that came out several months ago.

As for recipe formulation, you might want to check out Chris Colby's BYO article:  http://www.byo.com/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/1597-vienna-lager-in-exile

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:24:19 pm »
Very cool!  If I can't get Mex lager yeast, I'll try his recommendation. As stated in his article; "I personally like White Labs WLP920 (Old Bavarian Lager) yeast because it’s a little more aromatic than other lager yeasts".
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:22:44 pm »
I have my WLP940 in da fridge waiting for da moment soon....soon....soon
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:25:46 pm »
Why?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:38:21 pm »

I remember you were trying to get a hold of some a while back.  So did you slant it?  What kind or style of beer are you going to make with your strain?  Have you tried Victoria Cervesa? It's so very smooth.  It's kinda of pricey, but it rocks.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:01:12 pm »
Why?
Need room in the temp controlled refridge

I remember you were trying to get a hold of some a while back.  So did you slant it?  What kind or style of beer are you going to make with your strain?  Have you tried Victoria Cervesa? It's so very smooth.  It's kinda of pricey, but it rocks.
Pyrite, I did not get to try the Victoria yet.  If I find one I will borrow it's water for a while.  No I have not slanted it
It is still in the WLP sealed vial in my fridge for now. Only sitting on it for a month now...I have a saison going at present.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:28:52 pm »
cool. That reminds me of the "7 grains Saison" at the Bruery in Orange County I had on Sunday, it hit the spot on a nice summer day. Also, I just picked up a vial of the Mexican lager yeast. I was surprised to see my local home brew shop heavily stocked with this seasonal yeast strain. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 11:47:04 pm »

I remember you were trying to get a hold of some a while back.  So did you slant it?  What kind or style of beer are you going to make with your strain?  Have you tried Victoria Cervesa? It's so very smooth.  It's kinda of pricey, but it rocks.

It's on the shelves here like it's something new but has been around for years. How is it any different from say corona or pacifico?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:31:13 am »

I remember you were trying to get a hold of some a while back.  So did you slant it?  What kind or style of beer are you going to make with your strain?  Have you tried Victoria Cervesa? It's so very smooth.  It's kinda of pricey, but it rocks.

It's on the shelves here like it's something new but has been around for years. How is it any different from say corona or pacifico?

I had one at a Mexican restaurant in S.D.  Not much different as far as I could tell.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 07:10:52 am »
cool. That reminds me of the "7 grains Saison" at the Bruery in Orange County I had on Sunday, it hit the spot on a nice summer day. Also, I just picked up a vial of the Mexican lager yeast. I was surprised to see my local home brew shop heavily stocked with this seasonal yeast strain. 
You were @ the Bruery?  LUCKY Dawg! I had some of their beer at the 1st Sourfest at Avery in Boulder. Good water to borrow.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 05:03:24 am »
Why?

Sorry, I meant why brew a Negro Modelo. Although better than Corona, I find it a rather un stimulating taste experience. But, what do I know....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 06:32:05 am »
I like the Vienna Lager Oscar...I do ....I do

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 07:36:23 pm »
Why?

Sorry, I meant why brew a Negro Modelo. Although better than Corona, I find it a rather un stimulating taste experience. But, what do I know....
The reason I want to brew a Negra Modelo is because I eat Mexican food almost every weekend when I grill carne asada, and make chips and salsa, beans, and Spanish rice.  Therefore, the clean malty, smooth toasty, light-bodied, dry finish of the Negra Modelo, goes well with homemade salas I make.  I like drinking a Corona once in a while, not because I enjoy the taste of the skunky corona, but because the lime I put in the Corona soothes the taste of the salty corn chips and spice of homemade salsa on a hot summer pool day.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 07:49:47 pm »

From my frequent visits to the local Mexican meat market I just started seeing Victoria stocked about 8 months ago here in So. Cal.  Before that, when visiting Mazatlan in 2008, I had the chance to try Victoria for my first time.  The reason I gave Victoria a go, was because I drank so many buckets full of Pacifico 12oz long necks that I got sick of the Pacifico taste, and switching over and ordering Victoria I found it to be smoother with a not so dry finish that Pacifico has.  If you're ever grilling some asada, and you feel like indulging in some Mexican Cervesa do a blind tasting and hopefully you'll see there is a significant difference in flavor and mouthfeel between Pacifico and Victoria.